Builds 2008 LX Live Camera Car and Overlanding Build. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really glad I didn’t get a 20 cubic feet one because even this one is too wide.

Regardless, for less than 25 bucks I’m happy with how much room I just freed up. I threw all my winter clothing, extra blankets, motorcycle helmet, books for class, and my weather tech Petramp up there (dog now goes in through 2nd row).

Now I have space for some things like water storage and a portable toilet (PETT?) and a pop up shower tent.

Going to work on the rooftop solar shower next, just have to decide if I want to mount the pipe from front to back like everyone else, or if I should mount it from side to side behind the cargo bag. If I do front to back I can squeeze it next to the bag.

BDE72383-2058-4D2A-A341-27BD2591F9BF.jpeg

A60E94AA-A21C-412A-B80C-835E967CF431.jpeg

E6A50F22-6204-4189-A37A-4A6F97A54948.jpeg

F3230B6D-F6F6-4D67-893A-04AB9D353C0B.jpeg

i still don't understand why you would not change your filter every oil change. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The point is to see if it is necessary with these 20k filters, so I want to take one to 15k and see how it looks. At least 10k the first time anyways.

If it isn’t necessary then i would ask the same question to you.

Without the filter change I can do it In seconds and without any tools. I just route the hoses to whatever bottles I can find and open the ez drain valves and come back 15 mins later, rather than spend 10+ mins extra taking out the housing, filter, cleaning the housing and replacing/greasing the o rings and filter.

The difference is that one way requires a few seconds of my input and no cleaning required, while the other way requires 15 mins and risks a little mess. I also save a little money on filters and oil if it turns out that it isn’t necessary to change every 5k for these high mileage filter and oils.

However, I didn’t want to test my luck with both at the same time, so I chose to test the filter first. If filter turns out okay after 10-15k, then I will try the oil at 7500 then 10k intervals.

If filter looks bad after 10-15k I will abandon mission and go back to 5k for both.

If it turns out ok, then look for my YouTube video titled “World’s easiest oil change ft BJowetts filter housing & EZ drain valve” lol. Maybe a shorter title.

I know the risk I’m taking and if things go south I will personally warn others not to make the same mistake I did.

Thank you for the concern, and I Will be happy to hear what you have to say if you know something I don’t. I have the cheapest LX on this forum, so I can afford to test things that I wouldn’t dare test had I spent more. Not saying I’m going to be reckless about it, but at the same time i have put a lot of thought into this. I admit I could always be wrong though.

I did an oil change on the side of the road with no drain pan, and man that EZ drain valve and a hose made that really easy and saved me a mess. I had to use my portable sink to catch the filter housing oil (FRAM filter does not come with that thing to drain filter first), and that was not fun to clean lol. I put in the 20k filter and the jbowett housing with ez drain, and am looking forward to an easy and mess free oil change next time.

Also, I’m Going to Uwharrie in a week with a friend, still stock but my friend does have a built 4Runner with a winch and recovery gear. I’ll probably camp out there for a week or two.

I have lived in the LX for over a month now and have given it a lot of thought as to what necessities are in terms of mods, due to having a lower budget. At this point I’d be happy with just ATs and a long range tank. Also a rack for my Ruckus (or dirt bike) so I can take it with me, one like the Ultimate MX bike carrier.

I haven’t ran into any issues with running out of power between my 2 portable power banks (122 AH total), and have ran everything I needed with plenty to spare.

Here’s some more recent pictures.

3919E0E7-B091-4AF5-A1A0-E291BEF58002.jpeg

2E55D233-4CF0-440C-A72B-2B33B346D07D.jpeg

374F85C4-0AE9-484B-9F5D-BAA4A1602EA2.jpeg

2F9CBE67-FD92-49B3-A77A-1EDDE9BA2496.jpeg

95F2BF0F-F248-42CF-A225-D6012550A808.jpeg

Excellent! use then buy and you end up with what you need not want.

Tiger is loving life on the road by the way. I’ve been taking him on lots of hikes!

5A895238-93DB-4792-88A6-67D837EAAEC9.jpeg

B08D2D84-7517-402F-91D1-B7ECB9C88F77.jpeg

F2487CC5-B8A3-45CD-8DC5-6B93EE9CF8CC.jpeg

486EC270-3002-45CF-995B-ECB34ADF1D60.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I’m Going to Uwharrie in a week with a friend, still stock but my friend does have a built 4Runner with a winch and recovery gear. I’ll probably camp out there for a week or two.

Uwharrie is closed, both campgrounds and OHV trails. All NC USNF campgrounds and trails are closed until May 15th, at which point re-opening will be re-evaluated.

List of current closures in National Forests in North Carolina: National Forests in North Carolina - News & Events

Have you looked at @indycole build? He has an internal water tank writeup that you might be interested in.

Uwharrie is closed, both campgrounds and OHV trails. All NC USNF campgrounds and trails are closed until May 15th, at which point re-opening will be re-evaluated.

List of current closures in National Forests in North Carolina: National Forests in North Carolina - News & Events

I read that too but when I spoke to a local ranger yesterday she said that forest service roads are still open, and that I can camp on or around those. It’s close enough for me to check out.

And I will check that out thanks for the advice guys.

I read that too but when I spoke to a local ranger yesterday she said that forest service roads are still open, and that I can camp on or around those. It’s close enough for me to check out.

And I will check that out thanks for the advice guys.

With all due respect, we're under a stay at home order, what's so essential about this travel? Hang out where you've been and go explore and enjoy these areas when the time is appropriate.

I did an oil change on the side of the road with no drain pan, and man that EZ drain valve and a hose made that really easy and saved me a mess.

How did you catch and dispose of the oil? I'm always curious how people manage this process on extended trips.

With all due respect, we're under a stay at home order, what's so essential about this travel? Hang out where you've been and go explore and enjoy these areas when the time is appropriate.

With all due respect, I have been living in my car for over a month, since before this started. Instead of wasting another year paying rent and having nothing to show for it I decided to invest in a Cruiser as my first home instead. I definitely can’t afford renting now that I am one of those in an industry with forced closings.

Trust me I will Be less of a risk to everyone when I’m camping in the woods away from everyone... way less than all those essentials going to a few open and packed places every day and then going home to dad and grandpa after. Call it self quarantine. When I’m not in the woods I stay in my car and only go to gas stations and grocery stores/real essential reasons. I always wear a mask and keep enough gloves to afford a fresh pair at each location. I throw them out before getting back in the car each time and fresh pair when I leave the car. And then there’s the hand sanitizer that i use religiously now even though it has triggered my interlock many times now and has costed me a lot in violation fees.

And for the oil I ran a hose from the ez rain to two empty water gallon bottles and dumped those at advance auto parts per their instructions. Having ez drain valves really help to make sure you don’t make a mess and spill oil into the ground.

Last edited:
I don’t want to turn this into a political debate, but I will ask that you guys who are fortunate be careful not to allow yourself to be used as weapons against those less fortunate. It’s your support that may ultimately lead to justifying actions that may make or break many American families, like forced closings for extended periods for families at risk. Vice versa, if you fought for their right to stay open (with safety measures), then you could very well save them.

Not everyone can afford to wait at home for stimulus checks... there are tons, at least 10s of millions, of Americans who are being displaced and facing losing their homes and businesses for good. To me that is the real crisis, and I’m sad that it is Americans who are turning on Americans for simply trying to survive.

I wished people would fight as hard to protect people’s right to provide for themselves instead of blindly attack them for simply not being home. I’m not saying to ignore the virus, but I am saying there are tons of reasons why we cant just send everyone home.

I wished it was really as simple as send everyone home, but everyone needs a home for that, and we need at least 1/3rd of us to still man the essential jobs.

Again, please don’t turn this into a flame war and political debate, but please also consider the struggles of the less fortunate in a time like this.

I love this forum, the people in it, and I say everything with due respect, so please don’t take it the wrong way.

I also apologize if I am breaking any forum rules but I feel like it had to be said that I am trying my best here with what I am given, and quite frankly I could use some help. At the very least, I could go without criticism. If I had a home for me and my dog where I can keep to myself and not risk anything, id be in it.

Last edited:
I lost count but it’s been something like over 2 months of me living full time in the LX, and I’m slowly realizing that this thread needs a new name. I say this because a “minimalist” build is more fitting for what I am doing with her.

Aside from the bjowett filter housing and 2 ez drain valves (Makes oil changes on the road a breeze), an AHC sensor adjustment, the bike carrier, and the awning I am ordering this week, there really isn’t anything that has been done to her. I still have my third row seats! For storage I use the space in between and around the seats, which also works to level out my bed over the 2nd and third row. I really can’t name much in terms of things I “need” for her. I like that I can easily bring her back to stock at any time.

The bike carrier is a temporary solution until I can find a swing-away solution so I can still access from the back when it is loaded. For now it gets what I need done, which is to carry my humble steed (a Ruckus named Humble Steve), and doubles as a platform to cook on from inside and outside the vehicle.

Given that if I had a lot of money I would do builds similar to what everyone else here has done, but since I don’t I am very grateful that she is a simple girl and doesn’t need much.

With that said, I have decided that even before all terrains, I first need something to help keep me and my dog cool this summer. I decided On a awning with enclosed room, and am leaning towards the ARB2500x2500 with the deluxe room. I plan on ordering a set of 4 Yakima mighty mounts and 2 L
brackets from ARB this week, unless someone has a better idea.

Since I don’t have a ground tent and RTTs and OzTents are too pricey, I decided the awning was the best option I had. I really like that I can maintain privacy going back and forth between the vehicle and the awning room.

I will Update again soon with the awning stuff.

I also found a new spot today near the airport, located right next to a hiking trail and a lake! My favorite spots are the ones next to or in civilization, while still offering the peace and quiet of nature, as well as the heavenly views.

EA6E41C4-FBA4-49E0-8F4B-1A230840AF0B.jpeg

35571B31-FE82-487F-A0B0-C8313A9FBB05.jpeg

0F80FCC2-6FE6-4168-95BF-85EFCE9DE84D.jpeg

1DDB23F3-CE49-4ED9-8A39-A825ACA2F110.jpeg

9CBDE644-52B2-4A12-8C88-1BD1FCDABEC9.jpeg

Also, I did go out to uWharrie and confirmed that forest service trails are still open. I also saw a ton of 4x4s heading in and out of various trails. Not sure if people took down the wires to the trails or if they never closed them. I also found some nice spots to camp at out there.

And here is a picture of Humble Steve, my humble steed. Soon you’ll find him in the “other rides” thread.

DCFF0F4A-78E3-4DFA-8B8C-CCD63464E9BD.jpeg

0FCB8C7F-71F7-473A-AE20-90D4DCEDFA1C.jpeg

4F4FD691-5C86-426F-8572-7FCA385E4FB3.jpeg

250AB370-9BEF-4C0F-9121-3C4157BF8A55.jpeg

FD16B9DA-8E38-40BF-BD50-CF00B67318F1.jpeg

I don't know if there is much of a price difference, but 270 degree awnings are great for increased coverage. We have a rhino batwing on our camper that we like.

I don't know if there is much of a price difference, but 270 degree awnings are great for increased coverage. We have a rhino batwing on our camper that we like.

Thanks for the input bud. I really love the 270s but have not seen one that offers a room kit to enclose it. I Really like having a room So I can cook, work and hang out/leave my dog in. If I had extra money I would love to do 270 awning on one side/rear, then do awning room on other side! Then I can take up 3 parking spots like my RV neighbors, and look like I’m driving An umbrella while I’m at it!

I really like that idea actually... 360 degree awning with room using the combination of the 2. Thanks again I’m gonna go give it some serious thought.

also found another LC out here!

9C0AA525-EF57-4C65-9848-07AB075C0416.jpeg

Last edited:
Well damn, it’s already been done and I like it.

Time to do more research boys. First option I found was like $2000 but I’m sure there are cheaper options. Will report back in on what I find.

F5FCB8DC-30E9-43F5-A81B-D0E1D5DFCB8F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom