2008 land cruiser 200 rear hatch doesn't open. please help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening everyone, hope everyone had a great holiday season.
I'm looking for help maybe someone can point me to a previous thread about my problem.​
On my 200 series the rear upper hatch doesn't unlock or lock. keeping it from being opened.​
I'm thinking it can be The Rear Hatch Lock Assembly. (PN 6935060141) or maybe the wires are are becoming loose under the hatch not giving it power.
I tried searching for a thread on hear but came up short. If anyone can forward a link to me that would unimaginably be helpful and very much appreciated.
Thank You !

Good evening everyone, hope everyone had a great holiday season.
I'm looking for help maybe someone can point me to a previous thread about my problem.​
On my 200 series the rear upper hatch doesn't unlock or lock. keeping it from being opened.​
I'm thinking it can be The Rear Hatch Lock Assembly. (PN 6935060141) or maybe the wires are are becoming loose under the hatch not giving it power.
I tried searching for a thread on hear but came up short. If anyone can forward a link to me that would unimaginably be helpful and very much appreciated.
Thank You !
This post mentions a manual release for the hatch. There's also a lot of info in there about modding for an extra switch, possibly might give some ideas on things to tshoot. I don't think i failed rear hatch is very common.

This post mentions a manual release for the hatch. There's also a lot of info in there about modding for an extra switch, possibly might give some ideas on things to tshoot. I don't think i failed rear hatch is very common.

great ill read up on it. thanks

yes. battery was dying so I changed it out.

Okay so if the hatch was open while the battery was disconnected, the lock won’t initialize.

Keep the hatch closed, disconnect the battery, reconnect and try again.

Okay so if the hatch was open while the battery was disconnected, the lock won’t initialize.

Keep the hatch closed, disconnect the battery, reconnect and try again.
awesome I'm going to try that. after I changed the battery, a couple weeks later I had the lower hatch repainted and I'm sure the paint shop had the hatch open while the battery was disconnected. thanks for the tip!

How to fix upper rear hatch not opening

Finally able to get to work on fixing the rear hatch. I ordered Back Door Switch Assy. PN 84840-28040 from my local dealership.
everything was relatively straight forward.

The rear hatch was not opening so I crawled inside. with a tiny screwdriver I pulled the plastic square cover off. inside there is a white piece of plastic that is being held on with a screw. I removed the being gentle to not drop the screw. I stuck my small screw driver in pushed to the right unlocking the rear hatch and pushing it forward to open it up. I used a vt-30 torques to unscrew the 2 bolts that are holding the switch. pulled out the switch unplugging the wire gently. replaced the new one. I immediately heard the switch make a sound.

The process to put everything was a little different since I kept dropping the small screw that holds the white plastic piece in the inside of the hatch. What I ended up doing is remove the plastic trimming around the hatch. Used and small screw driver since I couldn't find my plastic prying tools. Pulled all around the outer edge until all the plastic trimming came off. Using a small screwdriver I pushed through one of the holes that's on the hatch and it was a near perfect spot to reach in and screw in the screw. Pushed all the plastic trimmings back in. Closed everything up and crossed my fingers. To my satisfaction everything worked again. Such a nice relief.

I will post pictures for anyone that has to go through this, now that these land cruisers are getting up there in age. The problem might start becoming more frequent.

This was for my 2008 Land Cruiser.

tempImageQKrJKz.jpg
tempImageZrQB83.jpg
tempImageeQVbZK.jpg
tempImageSWGX1m.jpg
tempImagekzciAb.jpg

Seems that I am headed down the same path today on my 2011 200. Rear hatch worked fine yesterday (few yardscape runs), but today, nothing. no power. will try recommendations above (first battery disconnect then new switch) will come back with results. thanks for all the tips and pics....

PM Update: Even more stumped! After playing around a bit more, I find that after I manually invoke the dreaded "door open" alarm (the 10 sec sustained beep by attempting to lock with fob with a door is open) I actually got the rear hatch to open: sometimes it opens only once. sometimes twice. most of the time not at all. Very inconsistent,. And ONLY if I leave the PASSENGER door open when I trigger the door open alarm.

Another clue perhaps? Proximity sensor on fob does not activate the rear lock/actuator. works as usual on driver/passenger side, so I know its not fob battery. also I tried the battery disconnect as mentioned above, but that did not resolve.

Is there some sort of "reset" that involves sequential button pressing (fob lock/unlock, interior lock/unlock, while pressing Volume Up and jumping on one leg on a full moon?

Is it simply the actuator/switch is dying?

Last edited:
Seems that I am headed down the same path today on my 2011 200. Rear hatch worked fine yesterday (few yardscape runs), but today, nothing. no power. will try recommendations above (first battery disconnect then new switch) will come back with results. thanks for all the tips and pics....

PM Update: Even more stumped! After playing around a bit more, I find that after I manually invoke the dreaded "door open" alarm (the 10 sec sustained beep by attempting to lock with fob with a door is open) I actually got the rear hatch to open: sometimes it opens only once. sometimes twice. most of the time not at all. Very inconsistent,. And ONLY if I leave the PASSENGER door open when I trigger the door open alarm.

Another clue perhaps? Proximity sensor on fob does not activate the rear lock/actuator. works as usual on driver/passenger side, so I know its not fob battery. also I tried the battery disconnect as mentioned above, but that did not resolve.

Is there some sort of "reset" that involves sequential button pressing (fob lock/unlock, interior lock/unlock, while pressing Volume Up and jumping on one leg on a full moon?

Is it simply the actuator/switch is dying?
Sounds to me like the switch is dying. Mine worked always, then mostly, then sometimes, then none.

FIXED!! You were right @Goldbug. It was indeed the switch. Worked, mostly, sometimes, partially, then nothing. Had ordered a new switch assembly last week; arrived yesterday. as @dualcabhj75 mentioned and pictured above ($62; free ship); followed the great instructions and pictures, and in just under 20 minutes, we are back in action! (minus one broken panel clip). This is what this forum is all about. People helping people. @dualcabhj75 Thank you again for your thorough explanation and pics.

FIXED!! You were right @Goldbug. It was indeed the switch. Worked, mostly, sometimes, partially, then nothing. Had ordered a new switch assembly last week; arrived yesterday. as @dualcabhj75 mentioned and pictured above ($62; free ship); followed the great instructions and pictures, and in just under 20 minutes, we are back in action! (minus one broken panel clip). This is what this forum is all about. People helping people. @dualcabhj75 Thank you again for your thorough explanation and pics.
Love that feeling. Yes, this forum rocks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom