eBay 2008 Hilux in the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not mine. Wish it was! Sweet truck. But how? I know, same ol song and dance...

Anyone here happen to know anything about this one?

2008hilux.jpg

It was for sale in 2017 on ebay but looked stock at that time. Probably brought here by a non-resident under a temporary import. Then vin swap or registered as a kit/custom car.

It was for sale in 2017 on ebay but looked stock at that time. Probably brought here by a non-resident under a temporary import. Then vin swap or registered as a kit/custom car.

Man this is going to keep me up at night... so many questions but like OP said, same old song and dance.

Maybe the fact that he listed it as a 1980 Tacoma is a clue that he did indeed do a VIN swap? Or did he list it as that because the vehicle does not have a 17 digit VIN, and VIN requirement is exempt on eBay for vehicles 1980 and older?

Why do i get the feeling this is less than legal, like he somehow fooled the DMV and that the car may get seized in the future? I didn't think vehicles under temporary imports can be legally sold??? And if it can be sold, does it lose the temporary status after it's sold?

Talk to this guy, i must! Tempted to bid on it but scared at the same time. Although i doubt it will matter, as it is looking like this one will end up way beyond my price range with almost 5 days left.

Last edited:
Ebay lists 1980 when it doesn't have a vin or non usa vin number. Seller just listed zero's but It would have an actual number. Might be hiding it deliberately.

It is a cool vehicle to see here and I hope they continue to get smuggled in. There are more of them than you think. The temp imports aren't allowed to be sold, but if they enter by land they don't need a bond so tourists try unload them all the time at the end of multi country overlanding.

It looks to be with a dealer now. I don't think you'll get much out of them but if you do please share.

Are you sure it's a dealership and not one guy? He uses "I" a lot in his listings and his feedbacks seem to point towards 1 guy as well. I did find one instance where he used we instead of I, and that's "we started by sourcing a the stronger 6.1 Hemi over the 6.4" in the 1970 Barracuda listing that is currently active.

I did find one positive feedback that had a note added to it afterwards saying "title did not match VIN, Buyer beware". At the same time he does have 100% positive feedback and the only negative one i found was removed by eBay. He also has sold quite a few cars it seems, so there are more things that point to legit than not. At the same time, a feedback like "title did not match VIN, buyer beware" on a seller selling a Hilux that isn't available here... well i think it wouldn't hurt to proceed with caution.

He also has an imported 1997 RHD WRX STI currently listed, that is not street legal until it hits 25 years old. First off that's great that he's working with other imports which gives me hope that maybe he does know a thing or two about bringing them in. At the same time, how is it possible that his 2008 Hilux is legal but his 1997 WRX STI isn't?

I'm definitely going to give that number in the listing a call and just pray that there is a reasonable explanation he or they can share, and that this is indeed legal.

"It is a cool vehicle to see here and I hope they continue to get smuggled in. There are more of them than you think. "

When you say this i assume you mean more of them here illegally? Or more that are here legally than i think?

Again, how?
I can't put my money here, best of luck to the winning bidder.
One hour to go.

I asked the seller:
Is this imported under a temporary registration, or will it have to wait to be 25 years old?
Where did this LHDriver come from?
Please provide some details, thanks in advance.

They replied:
Government imported has a US title and should be good to go in definitely. It was made for the South American market.

I would dtay away from this kind of vehicles though it's just me. GL to whomever wins it though.

Ah the grey market vehicles.
1573160468470.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom