2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

See posts 824 and 825 above.
Thank you. I stopped reading at around 600 on the post count and decided to ask. Looks like I will order an OEM.

Got mine done. it is a PNW truck and the hairline crack was very small - truck doesn't look like its been in temperatures over 100. The mechanic had to double check with me after he saw it if I really wanted it replaced... had me second guessing but I knew i would lose sleep over it. done. 142k miles

DB2D2A72-9548-4127-8065-737FB4E287B4.jpeg

well, @fasteddie2015 ask and ye shall receive! It's been at least two months and about 2,000 miles, so rather than post another boring picture, I went ahead and made a video of it. So enjoy.

I have no complaints. My original post was from November, so it's back a few pages if you want to see what I used. But if this continues to NOT leak I'm just gonna run it and save the $400 I would have spent on a new radiator.

Made the same "patch" based on your earlier post. Mine is still holding up after about 4k miles with just a slight weep where the epoxy seems not to have adhered to the tank. The weeping area is only about 1/8 of an inch and only shows a tiny bit of pink crust occasionally. I continue to check regularly but i feel pretty confident that if I had done the epoxy patch correctly that there would be a complete seal. FWIW, I have a new radiator on standby in the garage in case of failure.

LC Radiator.jpg

115k Installed a new oem radiator today, original was cracked but not leaking. New design looks like they addressed the cracking issue.

Took about two hours in my driveway.

B84C7A08-5C3B-458D-A480-5E10215887AD.jpeg

82B6AD01-E888-4159-9E74-797FFA5FD12D.jpeg

4FEF6AE4-767F-4D84-9DB1-98D793A8F2D1.jpeg

Made the same "patch" based on your earlier post. Mine is still holding up after about 4k miles with just a slight weep where the epoxy seems not to have adhered to the tank. The weeping area is only about 1/8 of an inch and only shows a tiny bit of pink crust occasionally. I continue to check regularly but i feel pretty confident that if I had done the epoxy patch correctly that there would be a complete seal. FWIW, I have a new radiator on standby in the garage in case of failure.

View attachment 2204080

Good effort. It would work even better if the patch was done prior to an actual leak. Then it works less to seal the leak, and more to relieve the stress riser at the corner. I firmly believe done that way, it would be fixed indefinitely.

Back to the aluminum radiator topic. Koyo racing aluminum radiator HH012076 for the 3UR tundra. Would likely require tundra radiator hoses since the outlets look to be at a different angle, and I'm not sure if the tundra includes the same integrated AT cooler that the LC does. Price is about $330 across the net. Thoughts?

Back to the aluminum radiator topic. Koyo racing aluminum radiator HH012076 for the 3UR tundra. Would likely require tundra radiator hoses since the outlets look to be at a different angle, and I'm not sure if the tundra includes the same integrated AT cooler that the LC does. Price is about $330 across the net. Thoughts?

the 5.7L tundras I’ve seen up close have a single-row radiator with a lot more surface area. I seriously doubt this would bolt in.

Not pretty but its reinforced before any cracking occurred. We'll see if it lasts.

I might try to clean it up or add another, smoother coat tomorrow. If I had it to do again, I'd let the epoxy (JB Plastic Bonder) set a while before applying it so it wouldnt run and drip.

radReinforce.jpeg

Good effort. It would work even better if the patch was done prior to an actual leak. Then it works less to seal the leak, and more to relieve the stress riser at the corner. I firmly believe done that way, it would be fixed indefinitely.
Agreed. It seems to be buying me time but that's about it at this stage.

I dont have a crack yet at 120K. I'm considering using the jb weld plastic weld to build up the area that cracks. Reinforce the stress area before it cracks. Do you think that would help? Anyone here try that yet?
I used JB weld to fix my leak on my 2008 at around 120K. The fix only lasted for a couple of months. Ended up replacing the radiator myself.

Any suggestions on replacing the foam between the radiator and the front support? I tried taking it off the old one but it just came off in pieces.

Any suggestions on replacing the foam between the radiator and the front support? I tried taking it off the old one but it just came off in pieces.

My OE radiator came with it attached already.

16465-50370 is the part number I found for the upper "packing" material.

My 2008 4.7 land cruiser has 124k miles and the radiator looks perfect. No signs in the history that the radiator was replaced at any point.

Just a data point.

As a data point. here is an estimate from a local Toyota dealer to replace the radiator.

CoolantLeakEst.jpg

Oh man! What's the history of this truck? Has it always been in CA?

Yes. It is in good condition, just this. I am planning to repair the cooling system including water pump, pulleys, tees, etc and should be good for a long time.

16 hours of labor for these jobs is about twice as much as needed. May want to call a different dealer or better find a independent shop that does Toyota.

That was my reaction as well. I will probably just do the work myself unless there is a reason for the dealer to do it (paper trail, recall, etc)

Just got this repaired. Radiator failed at 59k miles, paid toyota 1kish for the replacement and labor. It does look like they improved the design. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, a radiator failure at 59k miles is disappointing.

RADIATOR.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom