2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Edit.
Well that was a fun evening reading through 35 pages of radiator woes. But found some comments about '50384 working in 2008 (e.g., Fisher112).

Last edited:
2013 w/93k miles. Radiator failed. New one is ordered from camelback.

8F5963FA-76AE-4391-9FF0-3A3F381CA5DD.jpeg

One thing I now notice is that it doesn't have the vendor markings.
mEn1CxpsU-MeICgDq8xGpngCCJPFKFqF6nXMxI3H-qfFpmUJYA6qSm0vjs8Yrm7lfw3zZyto6T0UBdD1QTfs-ADhRLjXu09YpxVvDCBQZ52CPQi_X0Kvo4UfmnI6gO--KnINtRud2w=w1920-h1080
Doesn't that just add insult to future injury? They molded in the @#%$@# stamp plate, then later figured out a decal worked fine, and eventually stopped using the stamp and decal altogether!?! But thanks for leaving us with a stress crack magnet.

Doesn't that just add insult to future injury? They molded in the @#%$@# stamp plate, then later figured out a decal worked fine, and eventually stopped using the stamp and decal altogether!?! But thanks for leaving us with a stress crack magnet.
OMG, "crack magnet".:rofl:

So what's the verdict on the new part #? I noticed a hairline crack propagating in the usual place yesterday during cleaning and PMI. I used to work at a Toyota Parts department, and superceding parts always have a different part #. For the guys who have gotten the new versions of the radiator, what part # was ordered, and what was received?

I just purchased a 2009 LC with 148,000 miles. Records indicate water pump replacement, but I did not see mention of the radiator. I imagine this is a pretty typical stress riser beginning to form. Any indication as to how long before failure typically happens?

I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty for the next 6k miles, so I may try to have this fixed before it pops. If denied I'll order a new one and drop it in I guess.

20190414_180106.jpg

Last edited:
I just purchased a 2009 LC with 148,000 miles. Records indicate water pump replacement, but I did not see mention of the radiator. I imagine this is a pretty typical stress riser beginning to form. Any indication as to how long before failure typically happens?

I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty for the next 6k miles, so I may try to have this fixed before it pops. If denied I'll order a new one and drop it in I guess.

View attachment 1953196

I wouldn't consider that imminent unless you plan to stress the cooling system in the near future. It looks possibly a tiny bit worse than mine bought around this time last year, and I got a few thousand miles out of mine with no issue before I replaced it myself. That said, it could go tomorrow. Keep an eye on it, at least every fill-up, if daily is too much. Fortunately it's only spring.. summer temps obviously put more stress on things.

But.. if you plan to tow heavy or something, address it soon.

If the warranty company cries show them this thread, including the posts of actual failure. They'd rather install a radiator than an engine and they know it.

Reactions: elk

View attachment 1953196

Mine hasn't gone but was in better condition than that when I bought my 09. I ordered a new radiator that is in the garage and did the epoxy rad goop with FG as a additional support. I don't have an indication that the WP etc was replaced but also have no seepage or water loss. I am watching and need to order the other parts and find the time to replace the hoses, WP, etc.

If you have 6k I would tell them its cracked and have it replaced on their dime. Guessing you will have a little fight.

My vehicle showed the water pump replacement prior as well with no indication of radiator. I had almost an identical hairline crack and chose to get it replaced before a trip to big bend. When the mechanic took the unit off, the stress on connectors and internally was much more than what the crack showed. Get it done under warranty!

if you're taking any long trips I'd replace it. Nothing worse than having a failure when you're hundreds of miles from home and then losing vacation time. Around town your worst case scenario is a blowout and a tow home.

I bought a 2013 LC with 82k miles on it 1.5 years ago, radiator failed at 95k miles a few days ago. Took it into dealership armed with the information in this thread and the rep nodded like she knew all about this problem. Fortunately I still had the Toyota Care extended warranty and they covered all of it except my deductible. Got a shiny new radiator with the same fatal defect, crazy they haven't fixed the issue yet. Anyway just adding to the info here, thanks for all who have kept this thread updated.

if you're taking any long trips I'd replace it. Nothing worse than having a failure when you're hundreds of miles from home and then losing vacation time. Around town your worst case scenario is a blowout and a tow home.

I ended up getting it replaced the day before I left for CM by the Toyota dealer. Looks like same design.....

4CBE5185-6184-4F13-A016-99E29791FE3A.jpeg

I thought I would add another data point: 2013 with ~110,000 miles. Cracked radiator at the part number molding. Replaced with the newer part number which has a smaller molding area and much smoother transition.

Corporate Toyota paid for 100% which included radiator, hoses, thermostat, flush and labor. Total was about $1,100. The service adviser couldn't believe that Toyota picked it up. I was told by Toyota Care that they covered this "because of my brand loyalty and service history". Well they nailed it with me as this personally reaffirms why I bought the Land Cruiser and why I will continue buying from Toyota. Pure class from Toyota given the mileage and year. This process did take about 2 weeks between playing phone tag with Toyota Care, ordering parts and having my local dealer install.

I also had my water pump replaced due to the advice from this forum and was told by the tech that it was just beginning to leak. I didn't see this when I inspected the pump this past week but after removing and looking on the backside there was a small amount of dried coolant built up along the edge outside of the gasket. Additionally, I asked the service manager about replacing the starter and he said he would personally leave as it is not that common of a part to go on the 5.7, "mainly radiators and water pumps".

So just brought home my new radiator. it has the "fixed" top plate which is great. 1 potential issue quite a few of the metal fins have some damage. you think i should return? Or no big deal?

IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7822.jpg

IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7830.jpg

So just brought home my new radiator. it has the "fixed" top plate which is great. 1 potential issue quite a few of the metal fins have some damage. you think i should return? Or no big deal?

View attachment 1968086

View attachment 1968087

View attachment 1968089

View attachment 1968090

As long as the tubes all looked good I’d fix that. Would take less of my time than arranging a replacement.

You can buy oring picks in sets of four different shapes.. I’ve found that the multi-angle one is particularly good for radiator fin touch-up.

As long as the tubes all looked good I’d fix that. Would take less of my time than arranging a replacement.

You can buy oring picks in sets of four different shapes.. I’ve found that the multi-angle one is particularly good for radiator fin touch-up.
I talked to the parts guy, he ordered a new one, said i could exchange tomorrow morning. They are 10 minutes from my house, might as well just replace. The local Toyota dealer here is very cruiser friendly and take care of all the guys in the local cruiser club. Probably not a real issue, just after i shelled out all that cash I'd like it to be perfect. most doesnt look like itd cause any issue, but 1 line along the edge does look like itd restrict airflow a little.

IMG_7832.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom