2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would you suggest he replace the starter same time as the radiator?

I would. The other forum members who have had starting problems have been typically 2008 or 2009 and approximately over 100,000 miles. Just my observation of this forum.

Parts and labor for a Denso radiator are $700 + tax at Greg’s Japanese auto on the eastside.

OK. Wonder how that might compare to Lexus of Bellevue or Toyota? :hmm: Should not be a complicated repair though.

Do you plan on anything else while you are pulling the radiator, from a preventative standpoint? Water pump, etc?

OK. Wonder how that might compare to Lexus of Bellevue or Toyota? :hmm: Should not be a complicated repair though.

Do you plan on anything else while you are pulling the radiator, from a preventative standpoint? Water pump, etc?

I called four Lexus dealerships in my area. Avg was about 1400 for coolant and radiator installed. Of course, a loner but about a 3.5 hour job.

That's what I would have estimated as well. @chipsterguy in my experience Lexus of Bellevue is 1.5x-2x more than Gregs. You don't get the plush waiting room or loaner car, but I've always been satisfied with their work. They deal with my extended warranty contract and always use OEM parts.

Ouch. Reality of white glove lexus service.

Parts and labor for a Denso radiator are $700 + tax at Greg’s Japanese auto on the eastside.

Thanks for sharing the quote. That's actually a decent price. Did Greg's say how long it will take?

Do you plan on replacing the starter or water pump? As a reference I had my water pump (pumping was leaking, caked with pink coolant) replaced at ~93k miles fyi at Lexus of Seattle when I found out I was running low on coolant; I still had the CPO warranty at that point and only had to pay the warranty's $250 deductible. My starter I believe is still the original part.

Thanks for sharing the quote. That's actually a decent price. Did Greg's say how long it will take?

Do you plan on replacing the starter or water pump? As a reference I had my water pump (pumping was leaking, caked with pink coolant) replaced at ~93k miles fyi at Lexus of Seattle when I found out I was running low on coolant; I still had the CPO warranty at that point and only had to pay the warranty's $250 deductible. My starter I believe is still the original part.

The radiator was just a few hours of labor. Only delay was getting one in. They inspected the water pump and show no signs of leaking. I'll keep rolling the dice on the starter.

i called four lexus dealerships in my area. Two were at $1252 without tax. All of them quoted about 3.5 billable hours of labor. i found that odd since most on this forum have stated about 9 hours.

FWIW, Camelback has the 16400-50384 radiator about the cheapest I have found and they are one of the only Toyota dealers that has free shipping (orders over $150). Ordered a ton of parts from them for my 40 and 200. Use code TWPARTZ for an additional discount that brings it to $311 and change. I don't have the crack yet, but if I do I will plastic weld it and report back.

Back in business with a Denso unit:

HQ4DERt.jpg

Let’s hope this stays in once piece for another 100k

geFF7dA.jpg

I just got 3 quotes to replace the radiator in my 09 LX570 (102k miles currently, no coolant issues other than the typical "crack" in the raised logo area) and thought I share it here.

Quote #1: $1,176 total from an indy in Bellevue, WA, same one @tbisaacs used for his LC. This includes replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses ($128 included in the quote). Almost $400 difference frin @tbisaacs 's quote b/c the LX570 wears a fancy suit lol. Takes about 1 day here, no loaners available though they have a shuttle.

Quote #2: Local Lexus dealership $1282 including tax. Takes about 4 hours, and includes free loaner and cookies. Not sure if this includes the hoses, will need to inquire.

Quote #3: Another Lexus dealership $1700 + tax. Takes 6 hrs w/free loaner and cookies. Service guy here claims radiator failure is not common with the LX570s, and part is not in stock and needs to be ordered.

Just mulling things over.

My schedule is super busy, and I pretty much always need a car due to juggling my office's and my kids' school schedule. At this rate, I'm inclined to just have the dealership #2 do it due to my time constraints. Or maybe I'll live on borrowed time, just not sure yet...

Mine kicked the bucket at ~164k miles in November. Shortly after the battery took a dirt nap! :/
Happy to report she is in fine working order now, and ready for another 100k. ;)

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 4.39.45 PM.png

I just got 3 quotes to replace the radiator in my 09 LX570 (102k miles currently, no coolant issues other than the typical "crack" in the raised logo area) and thought I share it here.

Quote #1: $1,176 total from an indy in Bellevue, WA, same one @tbisaacs used for his LC. This includes replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses ($128 included in the quote). Almost $400 difference frin @tbisaacs 's quote b/c the LX570 wears a fancy suit lol. Takes about 1 day here, no loaners available though they have a shuttle.

Quote #2: Local Lexus dealership $1282 including tax. Takes about 4 hours, and includes free loaner and cookies. Not sure if this includes the hoses, will need to inquire.

Quote #3: Another Lexus dealership $1700 + tax. Takes 6 hrs w/free loaner and cookies. Service guy here claims radiator failure is not common with the LX570s, and part is not in stock and needs to be ordered.

My schedule is super busy, and I pretty much always need a car due to juggling my office's and my kids' school schedule. At this rate, I'm inclined to just have the dealership #2 do it due to my time constraints. Or maybe I'll live on borrowed time, just not sure yet...

Ouch!

Sounds like #2, as your time is worth more. Nothing says you can't challenge the others to beat #2's quote.

My time on the other hand? I should change careers. :hillbilly:

I would call more places. Don’t forget Costco members save 15 percent on parts and labor.

I paid $872.41 in Feb of ‘17 for radiator replacement at a Toyota dealership for my 08’ LC.

I paid $872.41 in Feb of ‘17 for radiator replacement at a Toyota dealership for my 08’ LC.

Did your radiator fail when you replaced it? How many miles did you get out of the radiator?

I'm beginning to see replacing the radiator in the the LX costing $300-400 more than the LC just because the former has a Lexus badge. Ugh.

Did your radiator fail when you replaced it? How many miles did you get out of the radiator?

I'm beginning to see replacing the radiator in the the LX costing $300-400 more than the LC just because the former has a Lexus badge. Ugh.

It had failed as others had described in the begining of this thread. It’s actually what prompted me to join the community here. I think it failed at about 75k or so.

After looking at your quotes, I think you’re right about the Lexus upcharge. Did you consider taking it to a Toyota dealership?

This thread is like clockwork and right on time.

Right after I hit about 115K miles I lost both the starter and the radiator. They were probably about 2 months apart.

Along with Toyota reliability I'm starting to see that we unfortunately can rely on certain component failures with a high degree of consistency!

Any other major components consistently failing that should be "preemptively" replaced?

This thread is like clockwork and right on time.

Right after I hit about 115K miles I lost both the starter and the radiator. They were probably about 2 months apart.

Along with Toyota reliability I'm starting to see that we unfortunately can rely on certain component failures with a high degree of consistency!

Any other major components consistently failing that should be "preemptively" replaced?

Well, I have been losing door lock actuators one after another on my ‘13. Three so far, and have replaced two $$$

I can join the crowd now too. 122k miles on my 2008 LX570 and I have a hairline crack in the same spot everyone else does. Ordering a new radiator tonight and going to take a peak at the complexity of the starter and water pump replacement and may preemptively tackle those. Hard for me to find a day to devote to wrenching so I’d rather knock everything out and have peace of mind for another 100k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom