2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah. I thought you meant it was just replaced.

Keep an eye out for the hairline. You may well get another 50k.

Thanks, and will do. I am contemplating just going ahead and changing it out as PM. The water pump was done replaced 13k miles ago. So, if I go ahead and replace the Rad, I should be go to go hopefully another 100k. Any ideas how much the stealer charges to replace the radiator and hoses?

*Extreme Conjecture Below*

I wanted to see if I could ballpark the failure rate of the radiator through the use of the information on this forum and the internet as well as narrow down the timing of the failures. On this thread alone, the following users have had radiator failures/ cracking (complete with model year and miles listed are as of the event date):
@jclarke450 - 08 at 166K miles
@INTP - 08 at 143K
@NetJunky - 09 at 135k
@BTUMAN - 08 at 94K
@MEMCruiser - 08 at 185K
@Softride62 - 08 at 110K
@DSallean - 08 at 129K
@thechief24 - 08 at 112K
@Markuson - 08 at 81K
@mreedbmwm3 - 139K
@TexAZ - 08 -
@ranma21 - 11 at 82k

I was able to find two additional cases of radiator failure in another 200 section thread.
@Utahsteve - 08 at 100k
@Fahad -

Number of Failures:
14 total failures, 10 were 2008 model, 1 was 2009, 1 was 2011, and 2 unknown. All are Land Cruisers except for the 2011 LX 570 despite them using the same radiator. This could be because the 200 section is mainly LC owners. I checked the 3rd gen LX 570 section on clublexus but wasn't able to find any failures.

Mileage of Failures:
Failures occurred at an average of ~123,000 miles with a standard deviation of ~31,000 miles (numbers only take into account vehicles who's mileage at the failure was recorded). All are believed to have occurred within the last two years.

Failure Rate:
There is no way a good baseline for failure rate. The MUD population is too small and there is no way to accurately count the number of owners of the 08-11 model year. This thread shows 71 currently owned from 2008-2011 (How many 200's on ih8mud). Assuming all MUD owners input their info (which didn't happen and is a bad assumption), this puts the failure rate at ~20% (take with a Land Cruiser-sized grain of salt)
So another way to look at this would be to say that the radiator will fail between 7 and 9 years of service, more likely closer to 9 years. The mileage just seems like normal variation of miles over time based on different driving habits, no particular correlation to the rad failing at a certain mileage.

So another way to look at this would be to say that the radiator will fail between 7 and 9 years of service, more likely closer to 9 years. The mileage just seems like normal variation of miles over time based on different driving habits, no particular correlation to the rad failing at a certain mileage.

You may be onto something there with an age-based prediction.

In fact, that's about the age my 100 series radiator was when it failed as well.

This age-based prediction is definitely supported by the number of 2008s listed above...
Hard to know, but I would imagine the break-down (becoming brittle) of the plastic could certainly be an age thing.

I think age is an issue, but heat cycles on the plastic likely makes a bigger difference. Once the crack starts on the inside, it is going to propogate each time it goes through a full heat cycle. In my case, the truck has a ton of miles, but they are highway miles. Not as many heat cycles per mile. For those that do alot of around town with more chance to heat up and cool down. @TexAZ and I both live in arizona. While we get extra heat in the summer, we don't get bitter cold to 200+ degree operating temp very often. Just more thoughts.

Well guys - I'm worried. My wife left this morning for a weekend trip to the mountains and I just noticed coolant on the floor in the garage! Its probably several table spoons and its on the drivers and passenger side. She's about 120 miles away....
The rig is an 08 and just rolled 100K miles this week. I didn't even get the chance to do the service before she left - 2 kids have the flu.

I know the water pump was seeping a tiny bit - but it never even leaked on the ground.

When they "go" is it actually a burst with a ton of coolant being lost or do you think she'll be OK for the weekend?
As soon as I get a hold of her I'm planning to have her open the hood and snap a photo or two to send to me. Dang - bad timing, eh?

Does anyone have the part numbers for the:
  • Radiator (16400-50383) is this still correct?
  • Water pump (16100-39495) - correct? Does it include the gasket?
  • Hoses (radiator) (16571-38080, 16572-38130)
  • Hoses (trans cooler) This baffles me as several are listed!

Last edited:
Well guys - I'm worried. My wife left this morning for a weekend trip to the mountains and I just noticed coolant on the floor in the garage! Its probably several table spoons and its on the drivers and passenger side. She's about 120 miles away....
The rig is an 08 and just rolled 100K miles this week. I didn't even get the chance to do the service before she left - 2 kids have the flu.

I know the water pump was seeping a tiny bit - but it never even leaked on the ground.

When they "go" is it actually a burst with a ton of coolant being lost or do you think she'll be OK for the weekend?
As soon as I get a hold of her I'm planning to have her open the hood and snap a photo or two to send to me. Dang - bad timing, eh?

• Water pump
  • Hoses
And this is the new rad #

View attachment 1294683

Thanks - I gathering the numbers and putting in my post. I'm confused about the trans cooler hoses as several are listed.

So my wife said there is coolant all over the engine bay - and she's 120 miles away now. Overflow container is below "L".....
Can she drive it back and just add some coolant or do I need to put two sick kids in my truck (with barf bags), rent a trailer and go get her?
Crap, crappola, crappucino, crapinski!!!

If you are a AAA card holder they'll tow you the first 100 miles then charge a fee for miles beyond the 100. I'd tow it if that's an option for you

It comes down to if she can keep the engine at an acceptable temperature. If the leak is slow enough that she can keep water in the radiator by periodically filling it up then she should be fine. Other wise she'll over heat the engine which must be avoided. Given that there is coolant all over the engine bay it seems unlikely she'll get far.

No one on here should advise you to drive with leaking radiator....if it were me. I would have the wife buy a gallon of Asian spec coolant and fill the overflow container. Drive 20-30 miles closer to you. check the level and get an idea of how fast you are losing coolant.
if it seems manageable, repeat stops every interval you feel comfortable with. At least it will get her closer to you.
If she made it out 120 miles with known leak, she should**** be able to get back using the stop/check/fill method.

****just my opinion****I take no responsibility for your actions/decisions. I tend to quick fix/limp vehicles home much more than most would be willing to.

If it is the hairline crack in the radiator, coolant escapes as a mist. covers everything, but leaks slowly compared to a ruptured hose or seam.
Post pics if you get some from her.....

My 08 RX400h radiator just cracked a couple months ago. On a flat spot, not a stress riser like you guys got. Local Lexus guy says he sees it all the time.

Seems the 08 radiators are coming due Toyota wide...

• Water pump (16100-39495) - correct? Does it include the gasket?
  • Hoses (radiator) (16571-38080, 16572-38130)
  • Hoses (trans cooler) This baffles me as several are listed!

Part numbers for a 2008:

Radiator: 1640050380
Water Pump (Gasket included): 1610009491
Radiator Upper Hose: 1657138080
Radiator Lower Hose: 1657238130
ATF Cooler Inlet Hose: 3294360390
ATF Cooler Outlet Hose: 3294360390

I would double check these with your dealer.

No one on here should advise you to drive with leaking radiator....if it were me. I would have the wife buy a gallon of Asian spec coolant and fill the overflow container. Drive 20-30 miles closer to you. check the level and get an idea of how fast you are losing coolant.
if it seems manageable, repeat stops every interval you feel comfortable with. At least it will get her closer to you.
If she made it out 120 miles with known leak, she should**** be able to get back using the stop/check/fill method.

****just my opinion****I take no responsibility for your actions/decisions. I tend to quick fix/limp vehicles home much more than most would be willing to.
This is the method I was thinking of......the overflow isn't entirely empty so it isn't leaking that bad. If I didn't have 2 sick kids to deal with I'd just drive up there and deal with it myself - following the same tactic until I got home.

The "protector" in me is thinking I may rent a trailer and just go get it. No sense in putting her safety on the line because of some inconvenience.....

Part numbers for a 2008:

Radiator: 1640050380
Water Pump (Gasket included): 1610009491
Radiator Upper Hose: 1657138080
Radiator Lower Hose: 1657238130
ATF Cooler Inlet Hose: 3294360390
ATF Cooler Outlet Hose: 3294360390

I would double check these with your dealer.
Thank you - although that water pump number is totally different from what the ToyoDIY.com part look up site is telling me. I'll verify with the dealer...

Sucks man. If it were me, I would have her find a safe place to wait until I could get there. Either that or call AAA and have it towed home. I would have told her to stop and get to a gas station or similar and been on my way as soon as I saw coolant on the garage floor, even with sick kiddos. Then let her drive the kids home and deal with the Land Cruiser myself.

IMG_8277.JPG
Sucks man. If it were me, I would have her find a safe place to wait until I could get there. Either that or call AAA and have it towed home. I would have told her to stop and get to a gas station or similar and been on my way as soon as I saw coolant on the garage floor, even with sick kiddos. Then let her drive the kids home and deal with the Land Cruiser myself.
Yeah - that really wasn't an option this morning- more details I won't bother folks with. She's in a safe place there and is part of a conference. I just got the photos from her- typical crack in the same location as everyone else's.

I'm going to get her and put it on a trailer when her conference is done. Road trip!

Been reading this thread. Very interesting.

My 200 has 106966 miles.

Went to the dealer. They combed thru the service records for my 200. No indication of replacement radiator. So, mine seems to be the original radiator. No cracks. No indication of looming failure.

IMG_8506.JPG

Last edited:
Been reading this thread. Very interesting.

My 200 has 106966 miles.

Went to the dealer. They combed thru the service records for my 200. No indication of replacement radiator. So, mine seems to be the original radiator. No cracks. No indication of looming failure.

View attachment 1403840

Mine looks like this 3k miles ago when it has 79k miles. So check frwuently to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom