2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe it to be more of an age thing and usage thing then high mileage. Seems like most 08 are getting it now.

Not sure about that. My 08 has only 77k on it and I've seen no signs of that crack. Maybe it's a pressure thing over time...?

So many possible variables. In Houston, I may have seen more heat and pressure over time.

My 100 had more issue than any LC I've ever owned. Mostly electronic (sunroof, door locks, lumbar support) but also two starters and some other smaller things. Those door locks were a pain in the ass though.

My 09' 200 had shaky side view mirrors and that's basically it. 130+ miles and I must be dodging a bullet. Knock on wood.

Mine cracked and blew pink stuff all over the place, not sure how long it was leaking until I saw pink fluid on the garage floor. I called Toyota told them about it, and how this was my 5th LC and shocked that the radiator blew at 110K miles. They where very understanding and in 3 weeks cut me a check for $1000 +/- as reimbursement ( I had it replaced at the dealer)

Mine cracked and blew pink stuff all over the place, not sure how long it was leaking until I saw pink fluid on the garage floor. I called Toyota told them about it, and how this was my 5th LC and shocked that the radiator blew at 110K miles. They where very understanding and in 3 weeks cut me a check for $1000 +/- as reimbursement ( I had it replaced at the dealer)

They did this out of warranty???

Well- I also called and gave my best professional request for some kind of reimbursement from Toyota Care.

They were extremely professional and gave me $500 credit for future parts or service. No expiration. I plan to use for parts on 15%off Tuesdays at my dealer to maximize that value.

Well- I also called and gave my best professional request for some kind of reimbursement from Toyota Care.

They were extremely professional and gave me $500 credit for future parts or service. No expiration. I plan to use for parts on 15%off Tuesdays at my dealer to maximize that value.

Nice. And you are well beyond warranty, correct?

Who/where did you call, exactly?

Nice. And you are well beyond warranty, correct?

Who/where did you call, exactly?
Mark- Yes. Called Toyota Care from the website. Followed the prompts.

Mark- Yes. Called Toyota Care from the website. Followed the prompts.

Wow. I'm sure my radiator will get there soon enough... Thanks!

Mine blew at 129,000 two days ago. I changed the spark plugs a few weeks ago and visually inspected that area of the radiator because of this thread. I didn't see anything to indicate imminent failure.

IMG_2074.JPG

Really thought about replacing it myself but decided on an indy that has worked on my 80 (the PHH and a few other things), the 100 and the 4Runner (radiator included) in the past and done good work for a fair price.

Mine blew at 129,000 two days ago. I changed the spark plugs a few weeks ago and visually inspected that area of the radiator because of this thread. I didn't see anything to indicate imminent failure.

That's a bit more concerning! So you're saying there's no real external indication of imminent failure? Guess it'd be a good thing to proactively change it at perhaps 100k miles.

Given the price difference between Toyota OEM and the TYC on Amazon ($200+), is there any reason to go with the OEM?

My shop ordered one this morning, OEM. I don't have an issue yet but am heading to CO pretty soon, don't want to risk it. With 130k+ miles, seems I'm in the sweet spot for failure.

My shop ordered one this morning, OEM. I don't have an issue yet but am heading to CO pretty soon, don't want to risk it. With 130k+ miles, seems I'm in the sweet spot for failure.
What are they charging you for OEM?

Water pump failure is so common (mine is starting to seep at 89K miles) that replacing one around 100k miles is just a good idea. Before I do the water pump I'm trying to decide if I should do the radiator at the same time. What I'm trying to figure out is just how likely the radiator is to fail. Is it as common as the water pump or am I just seeing posts of the vocal unfortunate few that just happened to have bad luck?

Water pump failure is so common (mine is starting to seep at 89K miles) that replacing one around 100k miles is just a good idea. Before I do the water pump I'm trying to decide if I should do the radiator at the same time. What I'm trying to figure out is just how likely the radiator is to fail. Is it as common as the water pump or am I just seeing posts of the vocal unfortunate few that just happened to have bad luck?

It's common not only on the 200, but also on the 100.
Replaced my 100's radiator, pump and starter at around 125k.

They seem to consistently poop out around 115-130k miles...so if you replace it with the pump? -By that basic "math" you can stop worrying til well over 200k.

we shall see

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom