2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

People having these replaced with OE radiators: please post a pic of the upper tank once the job is done so we can determine if the updated design is becoming widespread

i got the updated new one from camelback Toyota parts about 4-5 months ago. Just call and ask for Richie in parts, he's a friend of mud and can source anything. When i needed mine i emailed him pics of the top plate on the newer model, so he unboxed to make sure i got the updated one

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

I hit 120,000 miles this week and still no leak from where I reinforced the radiator with epoxy patch. Fingers crossed that this proactive effort continues to hold.

Can I say "me too"? I think I can type that much.

111,000 miles on a 2011.

Hairline crack was noted by oil change/quick lube place a few weeks ago, then I forgot. Today I filled up and checked under the hood... there's definitely leakage happening. Oh boy. 100 miles of mountain driving to Toyota dealer... only worth it if they are still giving credits to some people and I could get one.

Otherwise I'll see if the local mech can do it.

I'm glad I found this thread to learn all the ins and outs, and especially to make sure when I get a replacement it is the new style.

Last edited:
Can I say "me too"? I think I can type that much.

111,000 miles on a 2011.

Hairline crack was noted by oil change/quick lube place a few weeks ago, then I forgot. Today I filled up and checked under the hood... there's definitely leakage happening. Oh boy. 100 miles of mountain driving to Toyota dealer... only worth it if they are still giving credits to some people and I could get one.

Otherwise I'll see if the local mech can do it.

I'm glad I found this thread to learn all the ins and outs, and especially to make sure when I get a replacement it is the new style.
Slap a patch on it with this kit: Amazon product ASIN B000E4FSSQ
It should hold you for awhile.
One tip, you must work with the epoxy FAST. It sets up incredibly quick so you must have everything else ready to go and be ready to work quickly. The day I used it, it happened to be below freezing outside and that helped slow the reaction down. You want to make sure you work it into the fiberglass "patch" fabric while it is still liquid. Don't spend too much time mixing. layers should be tank --> epoxy --> fiber glass --> more expoxy. Good luck! A year and a half later and 15,000 miles and mine is still holding fast.

here is a link to my repair. #288

It should hold you for awhile.
One tip, you must work with the epoxy FAST. It sets up incredibly quick so you must have everything else ready to go and be ready to work quickly. The day I used it, it happened to be below freezing outside and that helped slow the reaction down. You want to make sure you work it into the fiberglass "patch" fabric while it is still liquid. Don't spend too much time mixing. layers should be tank --> epoxy --> fiber glass --> more expoxy. Good luck! A year and a half later and 15,000 miles and mine is still holding fast.

here is a link to my repair. #288

May be good on the trail but I have a hard time calling that anything other than a very temporary solution.

i got the updated new one from camelback Toyota parts about 4-5 months ago. Just call and ask for Richie in parts, he's a friend of mud and can source anything. When i needed mine i emailed him pics of the top plate on the newer model, so he unboxed to make sure i got the updated one

View attachment 2082943

View attachment 2082944
@DPA200 How is the design "updated?" I cannot tell from the photos. Thanks

@DPA200 How is the design "updated?" I cannot tell from the photos. Thanks

What were sharp corners on the original design have been made into gradual curves.. this should better distribute the forces from pressure on the tank. Those forces being focused into thin lines are why the crack was forming.

I had mine installed by an indy shop, but I made them order from local Lexus. All the aftermarket options are the bad design from what I can tell...

radiator.jpg

certainly is a different part number 426091 -vs- 703091

That’s not the part number. Toyota’s numbers are 10 digits with a dash in the middle. The numbers were discussed much earlier in the this thread.. they didn’t change. New design radiator slowly got released as people were ordering the original replacement part.

@bjowett, for those (me) who are planning a preemptive rad swap, is your recommendation to go with the 1VD iteration as you have done? If so, can you do a quick write up? I searched and could not find.

I’ve had my ‘13 for a little over a month. It has ~75k on the odometer and the rad has the beginning of hairline crack in the usual location so I want to address it.

Thanks in advance.
04AF2D65-00DD-45C5-B46F-D7C937EC96D4.jpeg

Has anyone ordered an after-market one with the newer design, or is it only OEM so far?
I have a 2009 LX with 83K on it I just picked up 2 weeks ago. Looks like someone was tracking the crack on the tank.

rad-crack.jpg

Has anyone ordered an after-market one with the newer design, or is it only OEM so far?
I have a 2009 LX with 83K on it I just picked up 2 weeks ago. Looks like someone was tracking the crack on the tank.

View attachment 2103441

In terms of aftermarket "oem" Koyorad and Denso are the only two I would even look at. If I had to guess, Denso is making the newer version, but why take that chance? Just order from Toyota or Lexus. The difference will only be $80-$100. I think Toyota knows enough about this problem (whether they admit it or not) they will not allow the old style to be shipped.

In terms of aftermarket "oem" Koyorad and Denso are the only two I would even look at. If I had to guess, Denso is making the newer version, but why take that chance? Just order from Toyota or Lexus. The difference will only be $80-$100. I think Toyota knows enough about this problem (whether they admit it or not) they will not allow the old style to be shipped.

TRAD is making the new ones, and the old, as they have for decades. That’s the stamp on both. In 80-series koyo was a better aftermarket unit than denso. Not sure how 200 equivalents stack up.

An OEM unit isn’t super expensive from the online discount sites. I’d go that direction and feel confident you’ll get 100k out of it at least.

I was told by friend of mine, who works for vehicle safety data collection company, that issues like this should be filed with NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). According to him its takes 10 reports start investigation.

Sorry if this already was brought up on this forum, I searched but could not find anything.
Just filed mine, here is direct link to the form: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Thanks - used the similar patch system from the local auto parts store, it worked fine. It actually set up very slowly, perhaps a different mix, or because I did it in cold weather (around 45F). So far it seems very solid, but with some big trips coming up, we're going to have the local mechanic swap it out. My wrenching days are over until I have more time and patience...

One more data point on getting Toyota to give credit: my partner called them and was very nice about it, pointing out how many LC's we've owned and etc. Toyota was unwilling to do anything, and when we asked for a supervisor they said there was none. So basically here's a $700-800 expense out of pocket (on top of the busted heater air vent problem that seems common). Plus it sounds like we need to do water pump and alternator asap. It's been an expensive vehicle in the 10,000 miles we've owned it (got it used at just under 100,000), especially compared to our previous 100 and 80 series LC's.

Maybe I'll go ahead and file with NHTSA to see if they can poke Toyota in the Butt a bit about this. (I also am writing a pop sci book where I mention the failing radiator as an example of a point I'm making, so if that book goes big, Toyota will probably regret it :) ).

Noticed the leak happening on my wife’s 09. What else does everyone replace when doing this job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom