2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (72 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2011 LX570 with 88K miles. Just looked at it today and it looks like the hairline crack is developing. The surprising part is a good friend of mine is a master tech at Lexus in SoCal, but he has yet to see any LX's come in for the radiator problem. I showed him the crack and he said not to worry but he hasn't see this thread.

Started looking for parts online at the OEM , Koyo, and Denso. Denso seemed to be the cheapest at around $283 before shipping but then I stumbled upon the Denso 221-3153 on Amazon for only $185.75 w/free shipping! Only had two left in stock, I snagged one.

Here's the link for any DIYers interested in snagging the last one, :

I also bought a AISIN water pump and thermostat, Gates upper and lower radiator hoses. All out the door after tax for $367. YMMV depending on which state you're in and how much tax they hit you with.

Also out of curiosity, has anyone used this?

I saw it at walmart the other day, looks like the same color as the toyota SLL stuff. The spec sheet also seems legit.

View attachment 1915057

So I received my Denso radiator from Amazon today....Not sure if this is just the quality of Denso or if it was damaged during shipping. Also looks like the design is still the same as the original flawed design. I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet, return this and get an OEM one for $100 more.

Anyone else here used a Denso radiator?

IMG_20190304_200911.jpg

IMG_20190304_200922.jpg

IMG_20190304_200929.jpg

So I received my Denso radiator from Amazon today....Not sure if this is just the quality of Denso or if it was damaged during shipping. Also looks like the design is still the same as the original flawed design. I'm thinking I might just bite the bullet, return this and get an OEM one for $100 more.

Anyone else here used a Denso radiator?

I bought a Denso radiator last week for my wife's SC430. The one I received was in really good shape. Not at all like the one you received. I bought mine at RockAuto. The radiators for the SC430 are a lot cheaper, costing less than $100.

That isn’t a quality issue, it’s clearly shipping damage.

Its going back. It was shipped in the original denso box with good protection and no damage on the box. Must of been dropped prior to shipping. Going to order an OEM from EB Toyota for $349 shipped.

It could just be my hypochondria and anxiety creating a double threat of awareness but does this look like the beginning of an issue to anyone?

Wipe it clean to be sure, but it does look like a very slight crack favoring the right side.

It could just be my hypochondria and anxiety creating a double threat of awareness but does this look like the beginning of an issue to anyone?
View attachment 1924792

Yes wipe it, yes it looks like mine did before it started weeping. You can see on the right the start of a fatigue crack. Sorry bud. It's the exclusive club of everyone.

Thanks for the input guys. I know it’s a gamble but what’s average lifespan at this point?

Thanks for the input guys. I know it’s a gamble but what’s average lifespan at this point?

Keeping in mind I'm not a mechanic, just some random person on an internet forum, IMO depends on your use. Fortunately it's winter and temps are down. But if you tow a huge trailer a lot? replace it before towing said trailer.

For daily driver use I'd give it a look every fuel fill (or more often) to check for weeping while I plan out getting a replacement and the time to install it. They often seem to weep some before letting go.. but needless to say keep an eye on your temp gauge.

Or try one of the patch jobs seen in this thread. Personally I'd rather have a fully intact radiator tank with the problem area visible.. and don't mind the cost per mile. But to each their own.

Keeping in mind I'm not a mechanic, just some random person on an internet forum, IMO depends on your use. Fortunately it's winter and temps are down. But if you tow a huge trailer a lot? replace it before towing said trailer.

For daily driver use I'd give it a look every fuel fill (or more often) to check for weeping while I plan out getting a replacement and the time to install it. They often seem to weep some before letting go.. but needless to say keep an eye on your temp gauge.

Or try one of the patch jobs seen in this thread. Personally I'd rather have a fully intact radiator tank with the problem area visible.. and don't mind the cost per mile. But to each their own.

I listen to random people on the internet. Will start sourcing tomorrow...have a Big Bend trip the 22nd. The timing couldn’t be worse

Had some free time so I did the swap.

I notice that my new one has a different shape to the insert with the stamp. It is less gradual and rises on both ends instead of a wedge shape. I know a few others have gotten this model too, but it is clearly different in shape than the Densos being sold. Hopefully they fixed the issue with this one.

20190313_125501.jpg

20190313_125457.jpg

20190313_125455.jpg

Last edited:
Well mine has gone from visible crack along the raised section to extending an inch beyond the raised section to the passenger side and spraying out coolant. I noticed antifreeze odor when I got home, temp was normal though. Checked and sure enough it had leaked all over the top of the radiator. Topped it back to full, only lost about 10oz of fluid. Plastic welder the crack and slapped a fiberglass and epoxy radiator repair kit over top for good measure.

Ordered the updated OEM radiator, new upper and lower hoses, thermostat and new clamps. Hopefully my repair job holds up for a few days until all my parts arrive.

I notice that my new one has a different shape to the insert with the stamp. It is less gradual and rises on both ends instead of a wedge shape. I know a few others have gotten this model too, but it is clearly different in shape than the Densos being sold. Hopefully they fixed the issue with this one.

Where did you order your radiator from? Recently noticed some online OEM part stores aren't currently selling radiators for whatever reason.

Where did you order your radiator from? Recently noticed some online OEM part stores aren't currently selling radiators for whatever reason.

Camelback Toyota Parts. Use code twpartz for a small discount (courtesy of Tacomaworld).

Looks like I had impeccable timing when I decided to check under the hood today. Appears to be leaking but not full-on burst.
20190331_142857.jpg
20190331_142904.jpg
20190331_142911.jpg

Personally I’d trust factory more, even with its known failure point.

While there is that one dumb design flaw, it is easy to check for, and toyota has undoubtedly done far more testing on what works long term in landcruisers. In this context I mean stuff along the lines of corrosion prevention, mounting methods without failure from stress.. I’m sure there is more.

Also, given what actual high-quality aluminum radiators from well-known brands seem to cost for most applications, I’d have to question the sourcing and build quality of that GPI unit.

But that’s just me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom