2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone had the failure on a '13 or newer? I was inspecting my '13 over the weekend and there is an ever so slight fraction of a hairline blemish in the area of failure. It only has 43k miles. 😕

Has anyone had the failure on a '13 or newer? I was inspecting my '13 over the weekend and there is an ever so slight fraction of a hairline blemish in the area of failure. It only has 43k miles. 😕

My LX570 is a 2013. I had the hairline crack at 86000 miles when purchased used from Florida

8E594BBF-993F-4E1A-97CD-3D7CC1460FFC.jpeg

56635816-13A7-4ACB-91AB-4214F07B713E.jpeg

111AFEAA-0E4C-4900-B697-AF9E40ED6B79.jpeg

13 cruiser here, had the hairline crack but no leak yet when I purchased it at 105k miles.

I’m curious whether the 2019 guys that are starting to post have the updated radiator.. I’ll ask one or two.

My LX570 is a 2013. I had the hairline crack at 86000 miles when purchased used from Florida

That is very similar to the way mine looks. I'll have the dealer go ahead and replace. They owe me one anyway because they damaged the inner fins when they were doing a different repair. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here's mine. One thing I now notice is that it doesn't have the vendor markings. I know that it hasn't been changed...🤔

QkzIkHbnXYesBfttlyiW3v8r4OMCcPkfGhBslLrSPaWqB9ZFSzxxKiU51CLlN8HeJ1WfFhIYlJ0ib65__0gin3S6GFz1padjVvqudImdSWoEn13MPglARnHAmaTvU4zzymVPTLxmTQ=w1920-h1080

mEn1CxpsU-MeICgDq8xGpngCCJPFKFqF6nXMxI3H-qfFpmUJYA6qSm0vjs8Yrm7lfw3zZyto6T0UBdD1QTfs-ADhRLjXu09YpxVvDCBQZ52CPQi_X0Kvo4UfmnI6gO--KnINtRud2w=w1920-h1080

Here's mine. One thing I now notice is that it doesn't have the vendor markings. I know that it hasn't been changed...🤔

Someone else can chime in, but pretty sure yours has been replaced at some point in time. Seems like every OEM radiator is stamped on that raised portion, aftermarket examples are not. But guessing you've owned since new?

Last edited:
Someone else can chime in, but pretty sure yours has been replaced at some point in time. Seems like every OEM radiator is stamped on that raised portion, aftermarket examples are not.

It has 43k miles on it. We purchased at 23k miles. When I purchased, I verified the service history with the dealership that it was originally purchased from and had all of its service done at. It has no prior accident history and did not have any sign of any repairs made when I bought it 2 years ago (except for the radiator apparently, ha!). Strange.

QkzIkHbnXYesBfttlyiW3v8r4OMCcPkfGhBslLrSPaWqB9ZFSzxxKiU51CLlN8HeJ1WfFhIYlJ0ib65__0gin3S6GFz1padjVvqudImdSWoEn13MPglARnHAmaTvU4zzymVPTLxmTQ=w1920-h1080

mEn1CxpsU-MeICgDq8xGpngCCJPFKFqF6nXMxI3H-qfFpmUJYA6qSm0vjs8Yrm7lfw3zZyto6T0UBdD1QTfs-ADhRLjXu09YpxVvDCBQZ52CPQi_X0Kvo4UfmnI6gO--KnINtRud2w=w1920-h1080
My new Denso radiator does not have a stamp here but it was identical to the OEM radiator that it replaced.

2011 LX570 with 88K miles. Just looked at it today and it looks like the hairline crack is developing. The surprising part is a good friend of mine is a master tech at Lexus in SoCal, but he has yet to see any LX's come in for the radiator problem. I showed him the crack and he said not to worry but he hasn't see this thread.

Started looking for parts online at the OEM , Koyo, and Denso. Denso seemed to be the cheapest at around $283 before shipping but then I stumbled upon the Denso 221-3153 on Amazon for only $185.75 w/free shipping! Only had two left in stock, I snagged one.

Here's the link for any DIYers interested in snagging the last one, :

I also bought a AISIN water pump and thermostat, Gates upper and lower radiator hoses. All out the door after tax for $367. YMMV depending on which state you're in and how much tax they hit you with.

Also out of curiosity, has anyone used this?

I saw it at walmart the other day, looks like the same color as the toyota SLL stuff. The spec sheet also seems legit.

IMG_20190226_191949.jpg

Personally if I weren’t using toyota coolant I’d confirm the chemistry they use and find a product of the same type.

Mine is the same because I chose not to use the Toyota part. I went with a koyorad part (which is what Toyota uses for their radiators).

Mine is the same because I chose not to use the Toyota part. I went with a koyorad part (which is what Toyota uses for their radiators).
Toyota uses “TRAD” on these. The logo is clearly visible on the sticker or stamp.

That Zerex coolant is pre-diluted so it doesn't look like it's any cheaper than Toyota red coolant.

Well, I have the crack developing now. I ordered a replacement, will post updates.

Last edited:
So, I told the dealer that I've been dealing with that they need to go ahead and replace my radiator due to the damage to the fins that they created when repairing an oil leak (long story). The service manager reluctantly said that he would, but the new one would have the same sort of damage because they come in all of the time with the fins bent up. :rolleyes: I swear these shops come up with whatever excuse they can to not do work.

ah ic. Must have been something else.

Not sure if they do for other models but for cruisers it is the case. Common misconception in the 80-series community too. I did install a Koyo on my 80 and it was very high quality.. nearly factory, but not quite.

So, I told the dealer that I've been dealing with that they need to go ahead and replace my radiator due to the damage to the fins that they created when repairing an oil leak (long story). The service manager reluctantly said that he would, but the new one would have the same sort of damage because they come in all of the time with the fins bent up. :rolleyes: I swear these shops come up with whatever excuse they can to not do work.

Dunno what they do to theirs during install but my OE came with pretty impressive protection in the box. A panel of cardboard flat on each face to avoid bent fins specifically. Either way they are doing it.. and should save you some coin.

Ours looks exactly like this. We are 2nd owners, (bought at 75k) I need to look through the service records again. Let me look really quickly to see if it says anything about the radiator. Nothing about the radiator, but water pump, thermostat + gasket 11/28/2015...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom