2007 SeriIes 100 Fan Clutch Nuts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
newbie here but not to car forums. Been doling out endless cash to bring my 200K 2007 excursion ready. That includes the infamous fan clutch. I consider myself competent around an engine compartment. First time at this particular bandit. Most importantly as a warning to anyone trying this job, be prepared for the dealer efforts in this area before. i have read the endless posts on this very topic. Useless every post. Doubtless the dealer stripped a nut head or two out of the four probably while replacing the water pump. I know my dealer did. I tried and got 3 out of 4 out. Its the final one that refuses. The nuts are made of garbage metal and strip with the best of tools and patient effort. Forget this job. Let the dealer suffer their handy work. Wish i had.

@86R100RS and I ran into similar issue with the nuts holding his fan clutch to the fan bracket. Two of the four nuts were boogered all to hell by an indy shop years ago. We Had to use locking pliers to get them off. But the new nuts are nice and shiny!

Last edited:
Also a 6 point wrench keeps them from getting stripped
Good news. Prayers answered. Fresh bad ass Vice Grips and Penetrating oil did the job. I have officially walked the Valley of Fire.

20201101_133208.jpg

Somewhere I saw a tool that will hold the pulley in place while the nuts are being tightened. I did have an experience with serrated flare nuts that had lost their ability to grip from previous use. From now on, if I need to pull the clutch, I'll get new nuts.

Good fresh nuts always help.

If you are doing the TB job, you can take the fan off with the fan bracket with the clutch installed and use a torch on the nuts. Ask me how I know....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom