2007 LX470 non-VVTI? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am a Canadian ex-pat living in Nicaragua, and own a 2007 LX470 that has been imported here from the UAE. I've owned the truck for just over 1 year, and it has unfortunately spent less than 1/2 that time running. I have a number of questions regarding the engine and wiring harness, and was hoping that someone might be able to help me figure out where to get the most accurate information.

The vehicle had suffered a catastrophic over-heating event due to some un-repaired and hidden damage. Both heads and the block were beyond repair, and the mechanic I was working with confirmed that my only option was to replace the engine. I have purchased and imported a rebuilt 2UZFE-VVTI, but when my mechanic went to install it found that the old heads were not VVTI. This strikes me as odd, since my understanding was that the 2007 LX470 would have only been available with a VVTI engine.

I have found very little information on people swapping to VVTI, but had seen one comment stating that it would likely require a swap of both the ECM and harness. This makes sense, as the existing ECM would likely not be setup to control the VVTI, and the harness would not be have the necessary plugs.

The VIN I have in my records is JTJHT00W074025561. When I search the VIN, the engine detail doesn't come back saying VVTI, but I'm not sure that it would/should. I will be going to look at the truck myself next week hopefully, and will retrieve the numbers from the chassis and the engine, confirm that they match, but was hoping that someone might be able to confirm what engine/ECM/harness would have originally come with the truck, and if not the VVTI, what I would need to make my VVTI engine work with this vehicle. Part of me optimistically suspects that possibly the heads were swapped at some point, and that maybe the EMC is correct and someone just removed the VVTI wiring in an effort to 'make it work' when it was exported from the UAE. I can't be certain of anything right now unfortunately.

If you plug that vin into partsouq you can pull up specific details. I am not seeing the VVTI parts that would normally be there so maybe it never had a vvti engine?

US market, 06 & 07 model year, 100 series received the VVTI 2UZ-FE, but I think I recall reading somewhere, that Australia didn’t receive the VVTI 2UZ until the 200 series.

It sounds like your vehicle was originally sold in the UAE, and maybe they didn’t follow the US market “rules”. You could plug your VIN in at partsouq, and see what they say…

US market, 06 & 07 model year, 100 series received the VVTI 2UZ-FE, but I think I recall reading somewhere, that Australia didn’t receive the VVTI 2UZ until the 200 series.

It sounds like your vehicle was originally sold in the UAE, and maybe they didn’t follow the US market “rules”. You could plug your VIN in at partsouq, and see what they say…
Looks like you're correct, and that the spec sold in the UAE didn't have VVTI.

So... I only found one other thread where someone was looking to swap in a VVTI engine and the discussion stopped pretty fast after it was determined that both the ECM and harness also needed to be swapped, neither of which I have at this time. Looks like I'm going to have to import both of those as well... but the real questions is, what else? ugh.

If you plug that vin into partsouq you can pull up specific details. I am not seeing the VVTI parts that would normally be there so maybe it never had a vvti engine?
Thanks, I've looked as well (great site btw, wasn't aware of it), and also do not see any of the VVTI parts. Seems this is a specific UAE spec engine.

Looks like you're correct, and that the spec sold in the UAE didn't have VVTI.

So... I only found one other thread where someone was looking to swap in a VVTI engine and the discussion stopped pretty fast after it was determined that both the ECM and harness also needed to be swapped, neither of which I have at this time. Looks like I'm going to have to import both of those as well... but the real questions is, what else? ugh.
It would almost seem easier to swap some non-VVTI heads, onto your VVTI replacement engine, than try to retrofit a VVTI engine into your chassis.

It would almost seem easier to swap some non-VVTI heads, onto your VVTI replacement engine, than try to retrofit a VVTI engine into your chassis.
It would, especially considering I could then turn around and sell my new VVTI heads... however this vehicle and engine is more or less non-existent in Central Latin America (I live in Nicaragua), so I need to import everything and there's no one here that would want to buy the heads.

The cost of importing non-VVTI heads at this point would be around 2k USD, where I can buy a new ECM and harness for just over 1k USD... assuming that's all I'd need. This mostly comes down to shipping weight, and the fact that I could bring the ECM and harness in a suitcase, where the heads would need to come freight by boat.

It would, especially considering I could then turn around and sell my new VVTI heads... however this vehicle and engine is more or less non-existent in Central Latin America (I live in Nicaragua), so I need to import everything and there's no one here that would want to buy the heads.

The cost of importing non-VVTI heads at this point would be around 2k USD, where I can buy a new ECM and harness for just over 1k USD... assuming that's all I'd need. This mostly comes down to shipping weight, and the fact that I could bring the ECM and harness in a suitcase, where the heads would need to come freight by boat.
Maybe the labor rates in Nicaragua are reasonable enough to make it possible. In the US, I’d expect that labor costs of figuring out and troubleshooting an undocumented VVTI retrofit, would quickly eat any savings. I’d suspect that removing/installing heads is documented somewhere.

Good luck getting this resolved!

Well, you could just put a Cummins diesel in your 100...

The air intake is also different between VVTi/non. Also differences in emissions equipment, which might require other harnesses/parts under the hood. I have a 2007 VVTi if you need reference photos or want to chat further.

Check the intake manifold, if it’s aluminum-made that’s non-VVTi. If the intake manifold is plastic-made that’s a VVTi 2UZFE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom