2007 Lexus LX470 OEM Running Boards bulb change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

Wanted to see if anyone had a picture guide on how to change the bulbs on oem 2007 LX470 running board. I have seen other posts on the earlier running boards that have the big bulbs sockets on either side of the running board, but the 2007 seem to have a different design. Since the plastic is obviously a little fragile now I don't want to take the chance at breaking anything while changing bulbs.

Planning to put some LEDs to update the look a little.

Thanks!

Which bulbs? At least the later lx470 have bottom side and upper side lights. You might be able to change the bottom ones, but those upper bulbs are a sort of xenon tube light. Not universal in the slightest, far as I know.

Unless you've got a "neon guy" perhaps, haha...

Which bulbs? At least the later lx470 have bottom side and upper side lights. You might be able to change the bottom ones, but those upper bulbs are a sort of xenon tube light. Not universal in the slightest, far as I know.

Unless you've got a "neon guy" perhaps, haha...
I'd have to go check my garage since the running boards are off, but im pretty sure its just some kind of acrylic tube with a light on the end, its not a gas discharge light.

I was talking the lights for the two tubes you can see right where you would step. The bottoms ones are pretty straight forward only a couple bolts to take those off, but the tubes seem to be more complex. I thought the tubes were some sort of fiber optics like the earlier years, I think the older years have one long tube with a bulb on each side but the 2007 version definitely has two separate tubes. If they are xenon light tube that would present a problem.

The bottom 4 lights (puddle lights) are 194/168s - the same as your license plate bulbs. LEDs work great in there.

The tubes are end lit - see here.

I didn't do these yet, so if you find something good that works please post up.

Hello MJK, thank for the the guide, but unfortunately I think that is the older style running boards. I actually have by running boards off the car and took some pictures.

I appears the bulbs should be in the four housings (2 bulbs per each of the two tubes). The problem is that none of the plastic seems to want to budge and I don't want to start taking apart something that shouldn't be touched, especially with old brittle plastic.

IMG_8389.JPG

IMG_8388.JPG

IMG_8387.JPG

It appears that previous owner must have really gotten some dirt in these as you can see its falling out everywhere. Maybe that and some liquid wrench would loosen the plugs? Unless what suprarx7nut said originally and these are a xenon tube?

Finally went about taking the bulbs apart and managed not to break all the little plastic tabs. Taking the tube apart it is not a xenon tube, but just a long fiber optic that has bulbs on each side. Was surprised to see how small the bulbs were. Anyone ever upgraded these things or know of someone who sells a light with more output. Unfortunately these are not just plug in lights.
IMG_8870.JPG
1625678140228.jpeg

If you’re handy with a soldering iron you could try replacing the existing LEDs in that board. A quick search at Mouser shows these as the brightest through-hole white LEDs they have, but without knowing the specs on the originals there’s no way to predict how much brighter they’d be. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Optek-TT-Electronics/OVLEW1CB9?qs=qMBAYxCpqG8zqXYNg%2BuZ6g==
Thanks for the information! I will try finding out what the original specs are on the bulbs to see if it would be worth doing. I would imagine it would be an improvement as the light output on these are just not enough for the length of the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom