2007 camshaft seal leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the middle of a timing belt replacement on a 2007 land cruiser with 207 k miles. Bought from relative who had never replaced the timing belt. Everything on belt replacement going good so far except i think i have a camshaft seal leak on the passenger side (left I think) camshaft. I have removed the gear and exposed the head behind the gear. I have seen some call it the camshaft dampner. I can see the oil seal and can wipe oil from around exposed cam shaft. Question, can i remove the head piece or dampner and access the oil seal from the front or is this a full camshaft removal problem. I've tried to find an actual service manual to buy online to answer this myself but cant find the manual either. BTW, if i have broke a posting rule, please forgive me, I have never posted before

I appreciate any input, I'm stuck.

I believe you will be in for a more complicated task as the variable cams on the 2005+ models require camshaft disassembly to replace the seals. It is my understanding that only the no n VVT-i motors can have the cam seals replaced without major disassembly.

I believe you will be in for a more complicated task as the variable cams on the 2005+ models require camshaft disassembly to replace the seals. It is my understanding that only the no n VVT-i motors can have the cam seals replaced without major disassembly.

That is correct as I understand it and why I didn't do the cam seals on my Lexus ls430 when I did the belt. But mine wasn't leaking.

Yes. The VVTi cam seals have to be done at an experienced shop like the dealer, because you have to remove the cam shafts. Just do the leaking side and install new valve cover gaskets to call it done on that side.
Mine is at 227K and original cam seals. Yours seems too early for the cam seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom