GM 2006 Silverado 5.3L computer memory problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

groundeater

...ordinary birdbrain 🤣
SILVER Star
Threads
We’re having a problem with the computer maintaining a memory when the battery is disconnected on my modified FJ-45 Landcruiser. The chassis / engine / trany is all Chevy.
(1500 4X4) When it comes to the computer ... I am brain dead. Does the computer have any kind of internal backup system that’ll hold a memory for an allotted amount of time ? Any help here is appreciated....

Check your 3-4 power wires.

my guess you got one only getting power with key on instead of constant 12v

have we been to a tuner yet?

hoping that maybe it’s not getting power in the right order or the lack of constant 12v somewhere is making the memory trip.

oddly enough my MAF comes and goes on the comp, some days it decides it wants to work, others it says nay and won’t run if it’s plugged in 🤷‍♂️ I don’t get it and quit trying to figure it out after the 3-4 time it left ya stranded. Now it’s a ohh well need to go unplug or plug that guy in

We’re having a problem with the computer maintaining a memory when the battery is disconnected on ...

Yep, it will lose memory if you disconnect the battery. You should have a constant hot to it as rhah is saying.

Thanks @rhah & @PAToyota for your insight, I stopped by the shop today and they installed what they called a “maintainer” (after market) that has a cord & plug-in on it. The foreman said that the actual OEM part evidently is obsolete. 🤷 I asked if they could be had if a person bought ‘em used, he advised against it.

1622004445058.jpeg

...troubles, troubles....😖

Last edited:
As rhah mentions, there should be several power leads. One should provide a constant hot - similar to the constant hot to your radio to keep the station memory.

By maintainer, are you talking about something like a Battery Tender? Although a good idea for any battery that sits unused for periods of time, you should be able to work with the vehicle battery alone unless you're talking about disconnecting the battery for longer term storage.

As rhah mentions, there should be several power leads. One should provide a constant hot - similar to the constant hot to your radio to keep the station memory.

By maintainer, are you talking about something like a Battery Tender? Although a good idea for any battery that sits unused for periods of time, you should be able to work with the vehicle battery alone unless you're talking about disconnecting the battery for longer term storage.
You know I screenshot what you both said and that mechanic appreciated that...he said that he thought that there were only 2 hot leads, so he learned something from ya both. 👍🏻

Yes, a battery tender.

I got my truck out yesterday but after a short spin in town, as I headed out to the highway a darn check engine light came on ....

1622081310784.gif

man oh man, I waited nine years to get it back from my brother-in-law, who brought it out last year 2020 from Arizona on May 30th. It didn’t fit in our garage....so I spent last summer building a shed for it. January 14th of 2021 l had 3 issues that needed addressed so I had a mechanic friend work on it whenever there was a lull at the shop, since it was January, things were slow, and I made the BIG mistake of telling him...“no hurry.”

Well...then people quit on ‘em out of the blue, and they were down to just 2 mechanics
1622082143547.gif
So basically I hadn’t driven it yet for ANOTHER year ! 😱

So this oxygen sensor was what it was that caused the check engine light to come on. It has only 120 miles on a complete engine rebuild (5.3L) When I finally got it yesterday and drove it, it was surreal. I hadn’t actually driven it since 1996 ! (I was 41 !!) I’m 64 now ! Soooo 23 years slipped by and l was denied yet again by a check engine light....

1622083844677.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom