2006 Sequoia help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj40

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi,

My family and I were in Salisbury, MD this past week for the USSSA softball world series and our 2006 Sequoia broken down while the wife was driving it. The truck was towed to the Toyoat dealer in Salisbury and they say the engine is no good but I believe that the engine may still be good. The truck has about 186,000 mile and belive that the timing belt broke, looking to see if any of you guys are around the salisbury area and can piont me in the direction of a good mech. to get a two opinion.

The truck will not start but does turnover and has the following codes:
p0117
p0300
p0305
p0306
p0340
p0345

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

The 2UZ-FE is an interference engine so if the timing belt did indeed break your motor most likely is toast. @OTRAMM might be able to comment on this with more conviction than me though.

It's listed as an interference and the manual cautions to be careful while doing the timing belt since misalignment can cause engine damage. I've only seen one in person with a broken belt. That one had the belt pop while cranking the engine and ended up being fine. If it happened at driving speed I doubt you'll be that lucky.

OTRAMM,

Thanks for the reply, should I have the dealer inspect the timing belt to see if it broke?
Wife was driving at about 40mph when it happened, the truck ran when it got to the dealership.
I tried to start it on Sunday, but only for a couple of seconds and I would not start.

while the engine is an interference engine it's not likely to have damage anything when a belt snaps. That's because without a mechanical connection to the crank the valve train will jump to a position where the valve springs are at their least amount of tension. If a set of valves are on top of the cam lobes when the belt snaps the spring pressure will likely cause the cam to continue to rotate some. That position won't have any valves in the fully open state.

Timing the truck incorrectly is another story completely.

I think there is a good chance the engine is ok if indeed the belt snapped and that is the only issue.

I’ve known two 4.7l engines locally here in rural Virginia that have had the timing belts break and neither had catastrophic damage to the engine.

When was the last time that the timing belt was replaced, if ever?

If it was my truck, I would get it towed to @OTRAMM ... yes, the shop is not really close to your truck, but for me, it is the closest shop that I’d trust. I’ve taken an 80 there and Ryan will treat you right. His shop is two hours from my house. You asked for a suggestion, and that is what I’ll give ya. And he’s a mud vendor

Last edited:
I’ve known two 4.7l engines locally here in rural Virginia that have had the timing belts break and neither had catastrophic damage to the engine.

When was the last time that the timing belt was replaced, if ever?

If it was my truck, I would get it towed to @OTRAMM ... yes, the shop is not really close to your truck, but for me, it is the closest shop that I’d trust. I’ve taken an 80 there and Ryan will treat you right. You asked for a suggestion, and that is what I’ll give ya. And he’s a mud vendor
I echo BK's suggestion

The timing belt was replaced at 95K, but not sure about the water pump.
Thanks for all the replies.

The timing belt was replaced at 95K, but not sure about the water pump.
Thanks for all the replies.

The timing belt maintenance interval is 90K miles, it was done at 95k and your at 186K now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom