2006 Sequoia help

Discussion in 'VA/DC/MD- Capital Land Cruiser Club' started by grayfj40, Jul 23, 2018.

1. grayfj40

grayfj40

Hi,

My family and I were in Salisbury, MD this past week for the USSSA softball world series and our 2006 Sequoia broken down while the wife was driving it. The truck was towed to the Toyoat dealer in Salisbury and they say the engine is no good but I believe that the engine may still be good. The truck has about 186,000 mile and belive that the timing belt broke, looking to see if any of you guys are around the salisbury area and can piont me in the direction of a good mech. to get a two opinion.

The truck will not start but does turnover and has the following codes:
    p0117
    p0300
    p0305
    p0306
    p0340
    p0345

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. EstMedicinaLuto

EstMedicinaLuto

3. iptman

iptman

The 2UZ-FE is an interference engine so if the timing belt did indeed break your motor most likely is toast. @OTRAMM might be able to comment on this with more conviction than me though.

4. OTRAMM

OTRAMM Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    It's listed as an interference and the manual cautions to be careful while doing the timing belt since misalignment can cause engine damage. I've only seen one in person with a broken belt. That one had the belt pop while cranking the engine and ended up being fine. If it happened at driving speed I doubt you'll be that lucky.

dbug, bkfj40 and iptman like this.
  5. grayfj40

grayfj40

OTRAMM,

Thanks for the reply, should I have the dealer inspect the timing belt to see if it broke?
    Wife was driving at about 40mph when it happened, the truck ran when it got to the dealership.
    I tried to start it on Sunday, but only for a couple of seconds and I would not start.

Stumpalama and iptman like this.
  6. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

while the engine is an interference engine it's not likely to have damage anything when a belt snaps. That's because without a mechanical connection to the crank the valve train will jump to a position where the valve springs are at their least amount of tension. If a set of valves are on top of the cam lobes when the belt snaps the spring pressure will likely cause the cam to continue to rotate some. That position won't have any valves in the fully open state.

Timing the truck incorrectly is another story completely.

I think there is a good chance the engine is ok if indeed the belt snapped and that is the only issue.

Stumpalama and iptman like this.
  7. bkfj40

bkfj40 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I’ve known two 4.7l engines locally here in rural Virginia that have had the timing belts break and neither had catastrophic damage to the engine.

When was the last time that the timing belt was replaced, if ever?

If it was my truck, I would get it towed to @OTRAMM ... yes, the shop is not really close to your truck, but for me, it is the closest shop that I’d trust. I’ve taken an 80 there and Ryan will treat you right. His shop is two hours from my house. You asked for a suggestion, and that is what I’ll give ya. And he’s a mud vendor

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    dbug and Stumpalama like this.
  8. Stumpalama

Stumpalama Forum Junkie SILVER Star

I echo BK's suggestion

bkfj40 likes this.
  9. grayfj40

grayfj40

The timing belt was replaced at 95K, but not sure about the water pump.
    Thanks for all the replies.

bkfj40 likes this.
  10. L8Shift

L8Shift

The timing belt maintenance interval is 90K miles, it was done at 95k and your at 186K now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.