2006 seatbelt retractor wire removal help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone tell me how to disconnect the yellow wire from the seatbelt mechanism. This is driver's side on a 2006 and i don't want to break it.

IMG_1356.JPG

So that pic is the retractor mechanism. To get to it, i had to remove the weather stripping on both driver side doors, the driver kick panel, both transition strips, and the cover that protects the seatbelt retractor.

Im not sure what to do with it, bit it's not functioning and i want it out of there.

And i have a driver side srs airbag light on. So i want to repait to rule it out as a potential problem.

I was able to simply pry with a small flathead and the yellow pre tension connector easily disconnected.

I removed the seatbelt assembly by removing a 14 mm and 10 mm nut.

Can anyone tell me what this component in the bottom is? It is directly under the seatbelt retractor.

Thanks

IMG_1361.JPG

I'm confused as to what you are trying to accomplish here. Whatever that thing is in the last pic, looks pretty important. Maybe a sensor of some kind?

I'm confused as to what you are trying to accomplish here. Whatever that thing is in the last pic, looks pretty important. Maybe a sensor of some kind?

I'll have a thread with additional detail soon. Basically, my 2006 had a recall (nhtsa recall 16V-065) notice for a "curtain shield airbag control module" and my fil took it to a yota dealer in central arkansas who performed the repair. Soon after, a flashing airbag light came on.

I am replacing the driver seat belt retractor myself to rule that out (it will barely i mean barely if you tug just right, retract) as i am guessing it communicates with the airbag system and could potentially cause the flashing light.

Trying to get my ducks in a row before i contact the dealer.

Some important CAUTIONS in the FSM.

• The vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), with consists of a steering pad, front passenger airbag, side airbag, curtain shield airbag, and front seat belt pretensioner. Failure to carry out service procedures in the correct sequence could cause the SRS parts to unexpectedly deploy and possibly lead to serious injuries, Further, if a mistake is made when servicing SRS parts, they may fail to operate when required. Before performing servicing (including installation/removal, inspection and replacement of parts), be sure to read the following precaution,
  • Before starting work, wait at least 90 seconds after the ignition switch is turned OFF and after the cable of the negative (-) battery terminal is disconnected. (SRS parts are equipped with a backup power source. If work is started within 90 seconds of turning the ignition switch OFF and disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal, SRS parts may deploy.)

upload_2017-8-13_17-10-55.png

Can someone tell me how to disconnect the yellow wire from the seatbelt mechanism. This is driver's side on a 2006 and i don't want to break it.

View attachment 1514874

I'm sending mine off to Safety Restor to refurb my pretensioner retraction but I cant disconnect that yellow connector. Afraid I'm going to break it. Tried turning and prying. Disconnected the battery. Popped off the clasp but it just exposes the wires.
How did y'all get it out?
Update. I got it off with more prying but airbag light is on. Assume that is normal until seat belt reinstalled???

yellow  tab.jpg

Last edited:
Mine had a driver side curtain airbag light come on that gave me fits until i figured it out.

The problem was the second plug from the igniter and one of the wires in the plug was slightly bent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom