2006 LX470 with transmission issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have had zero issues with the transmission (now at 150k) until about two months ago. Just a little bit of hesitation (sort of felt like limp mode) between third and fourth I believe. Turn it off and on again and it drove perfectly. Only did it a few times. Then a month later I get a check engine light. Took it to the shop and it was both air pumps under the intake, rodents had seized them with a nest. Obviously I told him about the transmission so the air pumps were fixed and got new transmission fluid and filter. I felt it was too coincidental that the issues were so similarly timed so my mechanic took a very long time making sure there was no other rodent wire damage etc. Now about a month later that limp mode has happened a few times but more importantly twice, not long after startup, while accelerating from a stop it has slipped and then BAMB you are in first. Is the transmission already dead? Seems premature at only 150k miles.

I'm not familiar with any known transmission issues other than the 00's and early 01's.

Did you take it to a transmission shop, or have anything diagnosed besides the intake issue?

Did it throw any check engine light or DTCs when it went to limp mode?

No, I have not taken it to a specific transmission shop, only my mechanic that changed the trans filter and fluid (not a flush). Zero codes since the air pumps were fixed.

My tranny acted similar when it had a low fluid level due to a rear output seal leak. It also hunted for gears in an unusual manner on small inclines and exhibited rough/delayed downshifting when bringing the vehicle to an abrupt stop. Have you checked the fluid level with the transmission properly warmed up?

My tranny acted similar when it had a low fluid level due to a rear output seal leak. It also hunted for gears in an unusual manner on small inclines and exhibited rough/delayed downshifting when bringing the vehicle to an abrupt stop. Have you checked the fluid level with the transmission properly warmed up?
I had assumed my mechanic had when putting in new filter and fluid. I am no mechanic but he is very competent.

Also, I should add, that he mentioned the fluid that he drained looked very clean.

Easiest place to start is the fluid level which has to be at operating temperature to get an accurate reading.

I had a mechanic that "knew" Land Cruisers that caused me an issue with transmission fluid level. I had slipping when accelerating and bucking when stopping, which I was very sure was related to the transmission service they had just done for me. I took it back and they claimed the levels were perfect. I ended up taking it to the dealer and they told me it was 3.5 quarts low on transmission fluid. I haven't had an issue since, or been back to the original shop (this wasn't the first thing that they messed up).

No, I have not taken it to a specific transmission shop, only my mechanic that changed the trans filter and fluid (not a flush). Zero codes since the air pumps were fixed.
Changed the filter? Never ever heard of any Toyota needing a transmission filter changed unless it was damaged. Was it damaged?

OK, good to know about the transmission fluid being low. I'll take it to a dealer next. The filter was not damaged, just did it out of precaution.

Checking the fluid level is not very hard at all once you determine it is at the proper operating temperature. It is just simply removing the "allen" (check level) plug at the bottom of the pan while engine is running to see if any overflow occurs. If so allow the excess oil to drain out into a pan before re-installing the plug after flow slows to a drip.

If no fluid overflows from this drain tube (besides the initial few drops when you pull the plug) you must remove the fill plug on the upper driver's side of the tranny and pump in new fluid until overflow occurs from the bottom plug mentioned above. The hardest part of this process is if you'd need to put in more than a quart as pumping with a cheap parts store hand pump on a quart oil bottle from underneath is a slow tiring process. For that reason, I attached a long necked funnel to a length of clear tubing and zip tied/duct taped it to an old garden stake to keep the tubing straight and away from the hot exhaust pipes. Filling this way, I could drop it behind the engine near the firewall and then gravity fill from above much easier with less effort similar to as you would with an old fashioned dipstick installed transmission.

Either way you top off, after the fluid drain from the pan plug slows, you must remember to install this bottom "check level" plug back before turning the engine off or else some of the fluid you added will begin to drain as the fluid returns to the pan.

Our transmission do not have a filter, they have a pick-up screen. Replacing screen is typically not need. If screen so gummed it is needed replacing/cleaning, I doubt transmission would be any good at all, and fluid would most likely smell & look very bad.

Transmission should be checked/topped with temp between 97F - 115F. I shoot for 97F as I like them filled to the max. Many shop are unaware of these temps.

From Toyota TSB T-SB-01908

Transmossion TBS 97 - 115.JPG

Our transmission do not have a filter, they have a pick-up screen. Replacing screen is typically not need. If screen so gummed it is needed replacing/cleaning, I doubt transmission would be any good at all, and fluid would most likely smell & look very bad.

Transmission should be checked/topped with temp between 97F - 115F. I shoot for 97F as I like them filled to the max. Many shop are unaware of these temps.

From Toyota TSB T-SB-01908

View attachment 2608354
I recall some discussion on a previous thread, and not to get off topic, but are these revised temps recommended for the '98-'02 4AT as well?

No, TSB is for 04-08 Land Cruiser. (A750F 2004-07, AB60F 2008)

I've not found a change for the 2003 which was the first 750 transmission in 100 series, and last with dipstick and only one to use Toyota ATF-IV

I consider any 2004-2008 low on ATF, if no recorded of being topped.

Last edited:
No, TSB is for 04-08 Land Cruiser. (A750F 2004-07, AB60F 2008)

I've not found a change for the 2003 which was the first 750 transmission in 100 series, and last with dipstick and only one to use Toyota ATF-IV

I consider any 2004-2008 low on ATF, if no recorded of being topped.
Thanks for clarifying!

I took the LX to a reputable transmission shop. They said my mechanic had put the correct amount of fluid in the transmission. Disks have significant wear and full re-man is recommended. I am disappointed it needs to be done at 150K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom