2006 LX470 Fuel Gauge Fluctuating, No Fault Codes or Performance Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The fuel gauge on my '06 LX470 has started to fluctuate and not reflect the actual amount of fuel in my tank. At start up, the fuel gauge may read correctly 3/4 of tank, then a short time later, read 1/2 or less. While driving I can at times see the fuel gauge moving up or down. I've got no fault codes or issues with air fuel mixture per my ThinkDiag scanner. Any thoughts on what might be at issue or what to check on my scanner? I'm using ThinkCar's Toyota/Lexus software and their ThinkDiag bluetooth scanner. My service records do not indicate any replacement of the fuel pump. Appreciate any feedback.

Sounds fuel pump related to me. 200k is common interval for FP- especially in warm climates and if its been run low on gas regularly- that will shorten pump motor life. If you're not the original owner- then assume it was run low frequently.

As fuel gets low in the tank the pump runs hotter as there's less fuel (hotter fuel) to cool the pump motor. As the pump heats up or overheats-repeatedly, inside the sealed motor gets bits of burnt carbon from the brushes built up on the commutator bars- this creates higher electrical resistance and reduces the motors torque. So when its cool, its fine but after it heats up, resistance increases and the pump stops working or slows to the point it can keep up with engine demand.

Changing the FP is pretty easy job; just under the second row seat. The Denso pump is the one you want. While you're in there, if you have budget consider replacing the fuel level sender at the same time- these get a corrosion build up on the potentiometer and start to give false readings commonly after 200k-250k.

Pic of a failed level sender @ 190k:
View attachment 2316224

This is from a thread I started, looking for input regarding my 99. Sounds like this part could be your problem, although I don't know for sure. Just passing it along.

Fuel level sender.

Go ahead and replace fuel pump, strainer and the sealing gasket at the top of the tank while your in there.

Fuel level sender.

Go ahead and replace fuel pump, strainer and the sealing gasket at the top of the tank while your in there.
Thx. That's what I needed. On the youtubes, it looks doable. Worst part looks like taking the rear seat out. Any guess on time commitment?

Same issue...Replaced pump, sender and gasket last week. Working perfectly and a simple job

Same issue...Replaced pump, sender and gasket last week. Working perfectly and a simple job
Landshark9,

Appreciate the feedback. What's your guess on the time to to complete start to fimish? Probably knock it out with a buddy in a couple of weekends. Thx.

Start to finish maybe 3hrs. Rear seat removal is not difficult; wrestling it out of the door opening is a little cumbersome. Just be very careful not to cross thread the seat mount bolts when you re-install- because the seat can be slightly off angle while sitting on the mounts it easy to cross thread. Do a search for FP removal- take a few notes. There are little plastic clips that hold the fuel connectors onto the tank- very easy to fumble one of those down on top of the tank beyond reach. Otherwise quite straight forward. Pump & sender part numbers were listed in the attached thread above.

Landshark9,

Appreciate the feedback. What's your guess on the time to to complete start to fimish? Probably knock it out with a buddy in a couple of weekends. Thx.

Sub 2hours...Pulling the interior is probably the most time intensive.

Thx. That's what I needed. On the youtubes, it looks doable. Worst part looks like taking the rear seat out. Any guess on time commitment?
When I replaced the fuel pump on my LX, I took my time, and it took me around 3 hours.

Pretty good video, I liked the pro tip with seat belt to hold carpet up👍🏼, but I had a minor critique: It doesn't sound like tech disconnected battery from the door chime ringing in back ground, so maybe he pulled FI fuse- but be sure to do one or the other before pulling pump. Also tech didn’t replace the gasket on the FP module lid ( they’re inexpensive) which a reused gasket before long will tend leak vapor.

Anyone have part numbers for this? Amazon says Denso 950-107 (referenced in the above video) does not fit the '06 LX470. I checked Denso's "Find my Part" and nothing returns for the '06 LX470 in the 'Fuel System Components' section.

Would like to replace the fuel pump, strainer, housing gasket and fuel level sending unit while I'm doing it. Any help is appreciated...

this is what I was able to find; anyone able to confirm fitment for '06 LX470?

Fuel Pump: Denso 951-0003
Pump Filter: Denso 952-0006
Tank Seal: Denso 954-0015

I wasn't able to find a Denso fuel sending unit but found this Toyota part number that is supposed to work: 77024-60180

I dont think that pump part number you listed is correct for the 06/07 VVT. I know that @2001LC recently replaced VVT FP and it was different part than the one for 05 and earlier. Maybe he can confirm correct part #.

This is all you need.

Your gasket is going to be fine. You strainer at the bottom will be fine. .

The sender get from toyota.
Flip the back seat over to the rear. Should be a 30 minute job. Sender also, unless you don't like the wiring to the sender and redo it.

Put a towel over the open hole after you pull the unit. You'll be fine.

My fuel gauge just started acting up too, only happened twice in a week but that's enough for me to replace the sending unit. Does anyone know if the sending unit fits from 98-2007 cruisers? This is the part number i got, 83320-60340 when i looked up on eBay or amazon it says fit all model years. Wasn't able to find on specific for 2006-2007. Mine is a 2006, thanks.

My fuel gauge just started acting up too, only happened twice in a week but that's enough for me to replace the sending unit. Does anyone know if the sending unit fits from 98-2007 cruisers? This is the part number i got, 83320-60340 when i looked up on eBay or amazon it says fit all model years. Wasn't able to find on specific for 2006-2007. Mine is a 2006, thanks.
B8617DAA-2097-46A4-A326-368E4E686C47.jpeg
28F328EB-004B-4986-90A4-9E86CA7B1470.jpeg
F68456EF-0404-4C16-9FC9-F8CA2D1A5F47.jpeg

Mine’s an 06 too and this is what I used and has been reliable since replacing it. Got the part # originally from @jerryb

I got that pump, but my fuel gauge sensor is wonky, that’s what I need the confirmation for. Looks like 98-2007 is fhe same for the sensor?
A couple of months back I did that too:
3809AA3A-DE02-4A36-A47E-501EE1E66CD5.jpeg
C58BD0F7-8AF3-4D28-8199-B2DBDCECC113.jpeg

Oh okay so that part number is correct 60340 . Thanks homie, everything works good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom