2006 LX470 Baseline work and intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a new-to-me 2006 LX470. I have been reviewing multiple threads and am working my way through items that I will need to address. BTW, I haven't seen a whole of silver ones, so I thought I would share! The LX will be mostly for camping and pulling a small Chalet Arrowhead trailer. Not my daily driver, bad gas mileage! I think I got a pretty reasonable deal considering where I live in the PNW. It seems they demand a premier in our area. Makes sense with all the awesome outdoor activities...so many activities. It was a 2 owner and originally came out of Dallas. There is no rust at all on the vehicle. A big plus, I don't do rust! Anyway, I plan to work on many of the obvious items that most have called out here when baselining one of these things, so I won't list everything to bore you. One of the first items I noticed after I took ownership a few weeks ago was the AHC fluid was very low. It went up and down with no issues, so I had a good piece of mind before I decided to purchase.

20210216_125832_resized.jpg

I decided the first thing to do was to perform an overall health of the AHC system, as I plan on keeping it (hence the trailer). I printed up the YotaMD ( thank you) cheat sheet and will be working my way through it here to start with. Here is what I have so far. It looks like I am riding a little low and will need to adjust the TB's and possibly adjust the rear sensors? Feel free to chime in if you think something looks off. The before and after is just my little notes before I used the PRADDO (thank you) method to flush the system.
2021021601 AHC.jpg

You are not far off spec for heights. Your next step is to get the pressure measurements from Techstream before you do any adjusting of TB's or height sensors.

read these threads thoroughly

You are not far off spec for heights. Your next step is to get the pressure measurements from Techstream before you do any adjusting of TB's or height sensors.

read these threads thoroughly

Thanks LXKevin! Yes, have already downloaded it and plan on addressing it this weekend. My apologies for not fully explaining my process. I will follow up with that information . Much appreciated!

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a new-to-me 2006 LX470. I have been reviewing multiple threads and am working my way through items that I will need to address. BTW, I haven't seen a whole of silver ones, so I thought I would share! The LX will be mostly for camping and pulling a small Chalet Arrowhead trailer. Not my daily driver, bad gas mileage! I think I got a pretty reasonable deal considering where I live in the PNW. It seems they demand a premier in our area. Makes sense with all the awesome outdoor activities...so many activities. It was a 2 owner and originally came out of Dallas. There is no rust at all on the vehicle. A big plus, I don't do rust! Anyway, I plan to work on many of the obvious items that most have called out here when baselining one of these things, so I won't list everything to bore you. One of the first items I noticed after I took ownership a few weeks ago was the AHC fluid was very low. It went up and down with no issues, so I had a good piece of mind before I decided to purchase.

View attachment 2587604

I decided the first thing to do was to perform an overall health of the AHC system, as I plan on keeping it (hence the trailer). I printed up the YotaMD ( thank you) cheat sheet and will be working my way through it here to start with. Here is what I have so far. It looks like I am riding a little low and will need to adjust the TB's and possibly adjust the rear sensors? Feel free to chime in if you think something looks off. The before and after is just my little notes before I used the PRADDO (thank you) method to flush the system.
View attachment 2587605

What a beauty. Congrats!!

Quick update, I was able to get on Techstream and pull the AHC pressure information. See below.

Front = 7.6MPa
Rear = 7.2MPa

Looks like I am a little high and will need to make some adjustments to bring it back in line.

Lastly, while I was on there, I pulled any trouble codes. I found just 2 related to the tilt/telescoping steering wheel. This might explain the scratchy sound when I turn the wheel. That will have to be addressed soon or that will drive me nuts. Codes are as follows.

Research to follow.

B2611 and B2620

Hello all,

View attachment 2587604

View attachment 2587605
what was price and mileage? :)

Quick update, I was able to get on Techstream and pull the AHC pressure information. See below.

Front = 7.6MPa
Rear = 7.2MPa

Looks like I am a little high and will need to make some adjustments to bring it back in line.

Lastly, while I was on there, I pulled any trouble codes. I found just 2 related to the tilt/telescoping steering wheel. This might explain the scratchy sound when I turn the wheel. That will have to be addressed soon or that will drive me nuts. Codes are as follows.

Research to follow.

B2611 and B2620
Crank those front torsion bars to pull front pressure down to lower range of spec and I bet that rear pressure creeps closer to its spec.

Nice work. Glad to see the cheat sheet getting good use lately.

Beautiful car. I love that color. I also like that rear spoiler. Wish mine had that. I think the 100's without any rear deflector/spoiler look a little bald.

Crank those front torsion bars to pull front pressure down to lower range of spec and I bet that rear pressure creeps closer to its spec.

Nice work. Glad to see the cheat sheet getting good use lately.

Beautiful car. I love that color. I also like that rear spoiler. Wish mine had that. I think the 100's without any rear deflector/spoiler look a little bald.
@suprarx7nut, thanks for the tip on the TB's. I plan on attacking this, amongst a few other items this weekend.

I agree, the spoiler is pretty nice, however, it looks like mine might be separating from the rear gate. I took a closer look, and it seems there was maybe double-sided 3m tape holding this down from the factory? Not sure, I will have to investigate a little further. It seems like it's connected pretty good to the upper portion of the spoiler like bolted in.

Update:

Addressed the heater T's today. Glad I did, they were on life support and one was in a bad way. Replaced the hoses as well, since I knew it was going to be a pain. Might as well address those while I am in there! Ended up having to cut the bottom two hoses due to basically being glued to the pipe. I wish I was a little taller, it was damn hard to get any leverage back there! See the below pic of the carnage.
20210220_125047_resized.jpg

I also took a look at the scratchy steering wheel issue. That was bugging the hell out of me! It was not the clock spring that was called out by the dealer in one of the line items in the receipts I grabbed from the previous owner. It ended up being the ring behind the wheel that needed to be re-greased and adjusted. I think I got it, but only time will tell. See the link that was very helpful.

Scraping noise from behind steering wheel? Could be steering angle sensor...DIY fix. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/scraping-noise-from-behind-steering-wheel-could-be-steering-angle-sensor-diy-fix.1019087/

I plan on working on the torsion bars tomorrow to bring the AHC back into alignment, as well as using the 3M headlight restore kit. Mine are showing the 230K miles fo sho!

Front = 7.6MPa
Rear = 7.2MPa

Research to follow.

B2611 and B2620

The scratchy sound you are describing is most likely not related to the telescoping motors. It happens on mine when the cabin is cold, and slowly subsides as the cabin warms up. Some people have had success lubricating behind their steering wheel. I was able to make it go away temporarily but it came back within a year and now I just live with it.

The scratchy sound you are describing is most likely not related to the telescoping motors. It happens on mine when the cabin is cold, and slowly subsides as the cabin warms up. Some people have had success lubricating behind their steering wheel. I was able to make it go away temporarily but it came back within a year and now I just live with it.

Yes, you are correct. It was coming from behind the clock spring. It is very clear where the sound is coming from, once you take everything apart. The detailed explanation was very helpful. Plus it's basically free, just my time and some grease.

Update:

I addressed the torsion bars this afternoon. On the left side I turned 3 turns and on the right I went up 4.5 turns. This brought the pressures down to the below and leveled.

Front = 6.4MPa
Rear = 6.7MPa

I think I will keep it here for a bit to see if any more adjustments need to be made. Thanks for the help guys!

Next, I worked on the hazy front lights with 230K on them. It looks like the parking lights are all heat cracked and will need to be replaced at some point. However, for now it works. See the below before and after.
20210221_151915_resized.jpg
20210221_151850.jpg

Lastly, I took a stab at the front seats. There is 230k solid miles on them and it shows. They were very dirty, and I went through a couple of microfiber cloths before I added the leather cream. I used the product below, as I have had good results on my 911.
20210221_142648_resized.jpg
20210221_142659_resized.jpg
20210221_151204_resized.jpg

Making progress!

I have a few items coming this week that I hope to address next weekend. Stay tuned.

Re: AHC, did you change the fluid ?

I would also consider adding spacer at the back as springs eventually age and it ends up putting more pressure in the back. That will help when you are towing.

re: seats, I had decent success with re colouring dye kits. But obviouly you have to clean and then treat the leather as required.

Re: AHC, did you change the fluid ?

I would also consider adding spacer at the back as springs eventually age and it ends up putting more pressure in the back. That will help when you are towing.

re: seats, I had decent success with re colouring dye kits. But obviouly you have to clean and then treat the leather as required.
@thibaut , yes the first thing I did was flush the old fluid. I plan to look into springs down the road.
I thought about redying the seats, but its not the biggest priority right now. They look pretty good after cleaning and applying leather cream. Certainly, if they start getting tears I might just get covers. No the biggest issue for me. Thanks for chiming in!

Summer is coming up, may need to consider adding an auxiliary fan to ensure your AC works perfect on a hot day. The 06/07 models didn’t come with that condenser fan.

Summer is coming up, may need to consider adding an auxiliary fan to ensure your AC works perfect on a hot day. The 06/07 models didn’t come with that condenser fan.
Interesting, thank you. I see you are in Las Vegas. I went to high school in BC. Where I live I am not so concerned about really hot temps. However, I will certainly keep it in mind if I start seeing issues. Thanks for the head's up!

Spent some time in the garage today. I replaced the pass. side valve cover gasket. It was leaking pretty good, so glad I got it addressed. See the below.
20210227_141131.jpg

20210227_155819.jpg
20210227_161801.jpg

Replaced the spark plugs while I had everything apart. Glad I did, there was definitely signs of heat and all but 2 were fairly loose. Based on my electrical background, this is the leading cause. Inspected the coil packs and 2 will need to be replaced. Placed an order and will keep the others as backups.

Spent some time addressing the power steering system today. The fluid looked like it hadn't been replaced in a couple of years. The reservoir was pretty worn and really dirty. I made an executive decision to just replace the old unit with a new Cardone unit. It looked to be like for like, however, the bracket didn't line up with the bolt holes. Just swapped the bracket from the old and installed. Started a flush in the old unit until I started seeing the new fluid in the return line. Capped off the lines then installed the new unit and installed the lines back up and topped off. Had the wife turn the steering wheel lock to lock slowly a couple of times to bleed the system before starting. Started and topped off once I inspected the reservoir for leaks and emusifing. Pretty easy project and steering seems spot on. Enjoy.
20210314_122735.jpg

20210314_122754.jpg

I have been waiting on parts for a couple weeks and finally have most everything I wanted to address. Decided to work on the emission system and the fuel system. I reached out to Wit's End and received a kit to replace the PCV and rubber boots. This was a very easy job and took about 20 minutes. The old unit was still working, but just barely. It was very dirty. Next, I replaced the fuel filter with a new unit from Wit's End. Also, very easy job. The old unit was made in China, so I assume it had been replaced at some point. The new unit was a genuine Toyota product. I will say, the parts from these guys are great and competitively priced. Will use them again!

Lastly, I have had some pulsation with my rear brakes. I performed an inspection and the bottom pin on the bracket on both sides was really in there good! Took serious persuasion to get out of there. It wasn't seized but had not been cared for in a while. I cleaned out both brackets and the pads need to be replaced due to this issue. I have ordered a new set from Bosch and will give them a shot. Also ordered new bracket parts from Partsouq. This should fix the pulsation issue. More to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom