2006 LX Trans Slip or Coil Misfire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am experiencing a "slip"/"shudder" when accelerating in all gears while in "D". I do NOT notice this at idle only under a load. The trans, transfer case, and diff are all dry. At first I thought it was a low trans fluid situation but I am now thinking coil foul or misfire. I DO have a leaky passenger side valve cover gasket... which makes me wonder if oil might be seeping and affecting the coil pack. Thoughts?

I had an odd situation last year where I had an RPM fluctuation when in Drive with my foot on the brake. Mind you, I had no CEL. After research and looking over things under the hood, I found I had 2 no-name aftermarket coil packs that were cracked in multiple locations. I replaced all 8 with new Denso coil packs. Problem solved. Not saying that is your issue, but coils can cause issue without throwing a code, so they are worth a look.

I just had this EXACT problem last week. I checked all of the coils and one of them had a cracked rubber boot on the end of the coil. This was allowing it to arc inside the spark plug tube. You didn't notice it at idle at all. Just under load. I also never got a CEL. I just replaced the rubber boot. Dorman makes a boot kit you can get from most auto parts stores if you don't want to replace the whole coil. I went this option because it was a denso coil and other than the boot being cracked it looked perfectly fine.

watch your misfire counts, watch them under a load, floored going uphill is best.

If coilpacks check out, cast a suspicious eye towards your torque converter.

Worth mentioning is crappy gas. Although not missing at idle has some bearing on that cause.

Does the shudder happen consistently when you go WOT?

Consistently, not constantly.

UPDATE:

I hooked up TechStream and come to find out no DTCs but cyl 6 had 80 misfires. I will be swapping the coil from cyl 6 to cyl 4 to see if it is the coil or the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom