2006 LC with Oil Leak Past Passenger Valve Cover. Best Course of Action? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

2006 LC VVTi with 220K.

Recently lost all power on the way home. Voltage dropped below 9, infamous VSC beeping, and then lost all power. I'm almost certain the alternator went out. When looking around to see how difficult it would be to replace it, we saw that the power steering pump was moist, and we thought that it was leaking, which dripped onto the alternator causing its demise. However, upon closer inspection, we noticed a hairline crack in a cover on the cylinder head right next to the PS pump. It's not the valve cover, but a cover in front of it that has the hairline crack. Pics attached. I don't see this as a part that is replaceable from looking on Partsouq? Can this be welded or possibly JB welded?

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

IMG_6395.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6398.JPG

IMG_6390.JPG

Last edited:
you think someone wanted to replace the cam seals and then said wooops?
I can't find it anywhere other than being part of the head assembly but clearly it's removable and should be a cheap part.
I'd trace the leak though. Hopefully that's not the culprit.
Someone on here knows that part #, if there is one. Maybe it's part of the head and shouldn't be mixed and matched.

1636189896336.png

1636190589352.png

Last edited:
My guess would be that after degreasing you will see the oil from the valve cover or cam seal. That piece is called the front bearing cap. Easy enough to degrease, torque valve cover as needed (follow fsm), then watch. As parts are very hard to come by, good luck. I’ve sent a pm as well. I now looked at my engine and attached a pic from a seal job that was done.. It does look more like a casting line and the leak from elsewhere.

E39B040C-E74F-44E0-828A-BD92D9351EB6.png

Last edited:
Collective forum knowledge indicates that the most common cause for a leak in that location killing the alternator on a VVTi engine is the cam seal. Best to replace the alternator for now and close it back up unless you are due for a full TB service.

Search the forum for cam seal and VVTi

Thank you for the responses, everyone. I am going to heed the advice and degrease this area, and monitor. Will keep this thread updated on what happens. I guess this is the price to pay for getting the few extra ponies from VVTi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom