2006 Landcruiser Engine replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Unfortunately, MY 2006 TLC's engine was recently destroyed because of a loss of all the engine coolant. All the coolant leaked of the radiator after an improperly applied radiator hose came off the engine. The hose had been pushed over the stud pipe on the engine, but the clamp had not been loosen enough to slide the hose over the raised ridge on the stud pipe. There was a leak at the water pump and the thermostat which slowly lowered the coolant level until it over heated and the increase in pressure blew the hose off the pipe. Three cylinders showed low combustion pressure with one cylinder’s spark plug having been steamed clean. A bore camera recorded scoring on the wall of the cylinder. This all occurred after a timing belt replacement at a local and reputable shop. They are in the processes of locating a 2006 engine like mine (Non VVT) and with similar miles on the motor to replace my motor at their cost.

Obviously, I must keep a good eye on this project and take the opportunity to upgrade where applicable. New Motor mounts, a new All aluminum radiator, timing belt service and any thing you might think appropriate to do while the engine is out of the car, and everything is easily accessible.

Your input will be appreciated.

Anthony

I would verify the VIN on the new engine for assurance that it’s going to be your model year and from a cruiser.

I will reiterate what has already been stated, you need a vvti engine. A non-vvti will not work.

Like everyone above said you need a vvti engine for 06

I had to do the same thing when a shop destroyed my engine by dropping something into the cylinder. I got my dead vehicle towed to a shop that knows Land Cruisers. It took a little while but my new shop was able to locate a low mileage replacement. A good idea is to change out the starter along with the other items you listed. Replace all hoses with new and, of course, install new heater Ts…

If you need them soon, do them with engine out list:

- power steering rack
- exhaust manifolds
- starter and knock sensors
- radiator
- timing belt and water pump
- front diff bushings
- alternator

I think that's a good start. Search around here for engine replacement threads. I have one that asked the same question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom