2005 LX470 randomly losing electrical power? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to start it today and it cranked for half a second and turned off. Then it started fine. This isn't the first time it has happened but it is completely random and infrequent. When it started, VGRS was flashing. Sometimes I will start it and the light will be flashing. This is making me think it's losing power completely for a split second but I've checked all wiring to the battery and everything seems ok. I got out of my car the other night and the lights shut off immediately instead of staying on for a few minutes as usual. So this seems like a wiring problem but I'm not really sure where to start or how to diagnose it. I do have some aftermarket stuff that I have wired in with in line fuses. I've been thinking about rewiring to a central fuse box but I don't see how that could solve the issue. HELP!

How old is your battery? How are the connections at the battery? Any corrosion noted in your positive wire from the battery? When was the last time you did an alternator test?

How old is your battery? How are the connections at the battery? Any corrosion noted in your positive wire from the battery? When was the last time you did an alternator test?
Battery and connections were all upgraded and replaced about 2 years ago. I don't think it's the alternator. I have a readout for my battery charge and it's all normal.

You'd bet your rig title that all of your grounds are super secure?

Well, if power suddenly cuts off, it means a circuit is being opened, electrically speaking. Time to figure out where the big circuit is opening up randomly.

Well, if power suddenly cuts off, it means a circuit is being opened, electrically speaking. Time to figure out where the big circuit is opening up randomly.
Thanks for that little jewel! Mechanical things make sense to me but electronics are still a mystery.

There are some electrical gurus on here much more savvy than me. I use my background for optical things mostly.

@jerryb & @Ayune are two that immediately come to mind. Perhaps if they have some time they can chime in to help with diagnosis outside of checking all ground points and ensuring that your connections to your battery posts are clean and ultra secure

the vgrs light coming on means the battery was disconnected or the battery was momentarily disconnected.
So you're right in your assumptions.
The LC has a glitch like that also. But it's not 100% when the battery is disconnected.
Both of the above have been talked about on here before.

I think i'd check the big leads and links and grounds.
Also, if you haven't done it it's a good idea to remove and clean every fuse from all three boxes.
I sand the legs lightly. I'm not saying this could be your issue. Just that it's related. I have personally seen an ECU vanish from techstream communication because of a dirty fuse.

this alone will save you one day from random things.

Tighten the battery connections. When you think they feel tight, tighten them some more. If they move at all, you are going to see this happening. I live in Florida, so the extremes of temp changes under the hood would cause them to loosen up after a while. It drove me nuts until I added checking the connections to my regular checks..

Did you solve this, I'm working on the same problem on my LX470 ? I found a video that says the problem is the fuse box. There's quite a bit of detail and he shows the inside of the fuse box after replacement and inside the box corrosion causes the internal connectors to get hot and start coming apart. You have to tear the box apart to see it. Anyway, I'm going to try a new fuse box as I also have a VGRS problem that could be caused by the same thing.

Did you solve this, I'm working on the same problem on my LX470 ? I found a video that says the problem is the fuse box. There's quite a bit of detail and he shows the inside of the fuse box after replacement and inside the box corrosion causes the internal connectors to get hot and start coming apart. You have to tear the box apart to see it. Anyway, I'm going to try a new fuse box as I also have a VGRS problem that could be caused by the same thing.
It's been a while but if I remember correctly I went through and checked all the grounds and tightened everything and the problem hasn't happened in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom