2005 lexus lx470 strange ignition behavior. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to search but no luck.
When i go to start my car i turn the key to start and nothing happens. I then let go of the key and the car then starts itself.

Watch "2005 lexus lx470 strange ignition issue" on YouTube

Video clip of it happening

Definitely weird.
Is this a new to you rig? Anything recently done to it or when this started to occur? jumpstart? Dead battery?
I would be looking under the column area for aftermarket wiring, remote start, etc... or if wires modified.
Other longshot thoughts...starter gunked up and or holding up the plunger (never heard of this ever happening) or the extra weight on your keyring causing a GM like ignition issue. Starter relay? on a 2000 it is under the hood in the fuse block near the battery

Last edited:
Seems normal to me. 2003+ had one touch ignition where you don't need to hold the key to start it, unlike the 98-02.

Wow never knew it had that function, thanks all

All my cars except my 2001 Lexus GS have this one touch feature. When I try starting my GS, it looks like it's broken and won't start first try since I just tap the starter. Have to try starting again and holding it......like a "normal" car!

Turn the key on, do not start the engine.
Check engine light comes on.
Now start the engine.
Check engine light goes out while cranking the engine, crank position sensor is good.
Check engine light stays on while cranking the engine, the crank position sensor is bad.

Now start the engine.
Check engine light goes out while cranking the engine, crank position sensor is good.
Check engine light stays on while cranking the engine, the crank position sensor is bad.

That's a pretty cool test.

Now start the engine.
Mine tests bad new one will be here today

Crankshaft sensor did the trick. It must have been that time my truck was parked in 30+ inches of muddy water for an hour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom