2005 Landcruiser with 300K, DS noise help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys I have done just about everything to find what the squeal/ squeak in the drivers side rear. When the car gets warmed up and drives to an area where we like to shoot wildlife photography the drivers side rear gets this annoying scrape or squeak sound, it sounds like it happens each time the tire rotates, its really odd. I have taken the brakes apart and cleaned, its not the wheel bearing . I dont think its anything serious but the deer and other animals hear us coming. Any clue what it could be? I will try and shoot a video with sound and attach.

It could be a warped rotor hitting the backing plate, or maybe the backing plate is bent toward the rotor.

pull your reare rotor off, and clean / adjust / lubricate the parking brake mechanism. I did this recently to my 2004 and now the parking brake works perfectly and everything is quiet

So it turns out the noise is coming from the front of the transfer case drive shaft. Had both seals replaced and it still squeaks not terrible just annoying. Put the truck in a lift once it was hot and out it in drive the brakes after cleaning were quiet but the noise is coming from front of transfer case. Paid to have seals replaced but it still makes the noise.

The truck has also developed a knock when you accelerate from the rear drivers side or so it seems. It sounds like an out of balance washer machine. Not terrible but Slowly getting worse. I assume it’s not the drive shaft but maybe a suspension bushing

So it turns out the noise is coming from the front of the transfer case drive shaft. Had both seals replaced and it still squeaks not terrible just annoying. Put the truck in a lift once it was hot and out it in drive the brakes after cleaning were quiet but the noise is coming from front of transfer case. Paid to have seals replaced but it still makes the noise.

The truck has also developed a knock when you accelerate from the rear drivers side or so it seems. It sounds like an out of balance washer machine. Not terrible but Slowly getting worse. I assume it’s not the drive shaft but maybe a suspension bushing
Who diagnosed the need to replace a transfer case seal having any relation to a squeak coming from the rear ? And then after the seal replacement the noise doesn't go away. There's your sign that that repair wasn't related.

Transfer case was leaking from real seal slow leak but still so I had them replace both seals since you have to remove the t case. When I got it back I noticed that the sound was still there after a long drive in the heat. I put in on our lift and put it in gear and it was coming from the front of the shaft. I assume maybe they didn’t put the seal in perfectly?

It's hard to say. I don't see a t-case seal relating to a grinding / squeaking noise but I could be wrong. If you have a lift it should be easy to narrow down, does it sound like it's coming from the tires / brakes or along the driveline. Can you feel the vibrations at all if you rotate while on the lift?

Maybe look into the procedure for disconnecting the front driveshaft and driving in 2wd to eliminate a few suspects.

I also don't think the squeak would come from the tcase. If you've eliminated brakes, I'd check CV axles or DS u-joints. Rearmost front DS u-joint is right next to tcase front output...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom