For Sale 2005 Land Cruiser - Dealer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went to check this LC out 65 miles away. Before I came out, I've talked to the sales rep and sales manager on the phone inquiring about pricing multiple times. According to the the sales manager, the LC is owned by the owner of the dealership since 2014 when it had 85k on the clock and now with 131k.

I asked if they have service records and they flat out told me no. I asked if the the owner have done the timing belt service, they said no. I mentioned that it's kinda weird that an owner of a dealership, who's an LC enthusiast haven't had the timing belt replaced with that many miles or have any kind of service records. That if I had a dealership, I would be taking advantage of all the at cost discounts and that all my rigs would be up to date on maintenance. I guess I shouldn't expect other people to be like me when it comes to how I treat my rigs.

Long story short I was able to cut out a deal that they would deduct their cost in getting the timing belt, water pump and tensioner service done from my purchase price and of course plus tax & license. That I will schedule an appointment with their service dept to get that service done. A few minutes later, manager came out with the price sheet that shows purchase price, tax & license. Initial license fee he showed me was $399, and I said ok, everything looks good and that we have a deal and shook on it. He had me sign the price sheet and another piece of paperwork. He left and came back a few minutes later and now tells me that he has bad news. That since the owner hasn't driven the LC for a couple of years, there are back fees from DMV. He now pulls out a new price sheet that the license fee is now $1150. That I have to pay for the back fees that accrued when the owner didn't drive the rig. I asked why didn't he pay for the registration on time, and why am I responsible for this. Manager just told me that it's whats going to take to buy it and that the owner will not pay for the back fees. I told them that by the time everything is said and done with the purchase on this LC, price will be at the 200 series territory.

I just really think it's really shady for such a big dealership stick you fees that your not responsible for. Fees that accrued due to the owner's irresponsibility. Why they didn't disclose the back fees from my initial inquiries on the phone and on the initial breakdown of cost & fees that we agreed on and shook on. I walked away while telling the manager that I'm never coming back to this dealership again! That they can find someone else pay for the back fees.

Last edited:
LOL. Thats ridiculous. Probably the worst excuse I've ever heard of a manager/sales person to cover their own rear ends. Horrible customer service

I find it interesting that I just called a local Toyota dealership for estimate on replacing the timing belt and water pump and the advisor told me $1100.

Btw I've never heard that before. Check with the local DMV to see if what they says is true.

Classic Bait and Switch.
Glad you didn't fall for it.

I find it interesting that I just called a local Toyota dealership for estimate on replacing the timing belt and water pump and the advisor told me $1100.

Btw I've never heard that before. Check with the local DMV to see if what they says is true.
Definitely I'll check with DMV tomorrow

Classic Bait and Switch.
Glad you didn't fall for it.
Yes it was. Too bad since it was such a nice rig

None of this makes sense to me from a Factory Toyota Dealer really?

What does the current owners past due DMV fee have to do with a new buyer any way?

Does Ca. require getting the DMV paid for in advance at the Stealership or something? I have never heard of this and around here it has ZERO to do with selling a car but it would need to be paid for by the current owner to get his cars current but again has absolutely nothing to do with a buyer or purchase in any way.

Nothing about that makes sense that I can tell and I like to think that a factory dealer is above this kind of thing but clearly these guys are just looking to not sell this truck.

So, I received a call from the same manager yesterday morning and he apologized about what happened the day before. He explained that they were able to work out the backfees (somehow) and that my OTD price actually went lower from the original OTD we shook on. He said that they will deduct an extra $500 and fill up the tank on my vehicle that I drove there the other day for my troubles..... so if I'm still interested, the rig was mine. Long story short, she went home with me last night! Not sure what changed with dealership, but I was happy!
20200116_185336.jpg
20200116_185321.jpg

Last edited:
So, I received a call from the same manager yesterday morning and he apologized about what happened the day before. He explained that they were able to work out the backfees (somehow) and that my OTD price actually went lower from the original OTD we shook on. He said that they will deduct an extra $500 and fill up the tank on my lexus is350 that I drove there the other day for my troubles..... so if I'm still interested, the rig was mine. Long story short, she went home with me last night! Not sure what changed with dealership, but I was happy!View attachment 2185310View attachment 2185311

I love a happy ending! She looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom