2005-2007 Land Cruiser Wheels on 1998? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I have a 1998 Land Cruiser and am looking to "update" its appearance a bit. One of the first things I would like to purchase are new wheels, and I was wondering if the wheels that came on the 2005-2007 LC's would fit without problems on the 1998? I'm not sure if the backspacing is any different, but they are two inches larger than the 1998 wheels. I found this site that sells them but it only lists the wheel as fitments for 2005-2007 models:

2006 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER Wheel - OEM Replacement # ALY69479U | WheelsAndCaps.com

Here's how the look on the truck: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif...ruiser/2929-037-driver-side-door-open-480.jpg

Any help is appreciated! Also, if there are aftermarket wheels that look good on this generation Land Cruiser I'd love to see them since that's an option too. Thanks!

The wheels from all Land Cruisers from 1998 through 2007 are compatible. Same bolt pattern, same offset, same brake size.

I recently put 1998 wheels on my 2004. Many people do the exact opposite and put 2004-7 wheels on 98-99.

The wheel you are looking at is the OEM 18x8 which was standard on the 2004+ LC. I bought my 16x8 OEM wheels from All Factory Wheels. I suggest you get a quote from them, might be cheaper.

http://www.allfactorywheels.com/

As for aftermarket wheel options, they are very far and few between. The 100 Land Cruiser uses 5x150 bolt pattern which is very uncommon and thus very few aftermarket companies make wheels. However that will change as the 08+ Toyota Tundra has the same bolt pattern, so you can expect to see more options pop up in the future. With that said, because it's the Tundra expect the aftermarket wheels to be 19" and 20" as well as being mostly chrome and very heavy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply and the link...that's great news! I called the dealership and they had no clue so figured this was my next stop.

What about headlights, taillights, and grill from that year range, is everything the same size?

Head lights, tail lights, grill, and front bumper all did change slightly over the years. I think the front grill and bumper changed in 2003, and the head lights and tail lights changed in 2006.

Do some searches, I'm not positive on what is needed to fit older models but others have gone down that road already.

I called the dealership and they had no clue so figured this was my next stop.

No surprise there! MUD is your single best source of info on Land Cruisers, period.

FYI, when I went from OEM 18's to OEM 16's on my LC I got in an argument with my local tire shop. The guy at the tire shop was convinced the 16's would not fit my LC because "they put 18's on the newer ones for a reason, because the brakes are larger". I told the guy it's just wheels getting larger because that's the culture more recently, not a mechanical reason. Well he was wrong, the brakes are the exact same size on 98-07. I even called CDan and he was nice enough to check the brake part numbers for every year model and verify they are the same size (BTW awesome customer service!). There was a slight part number change in the brakes somewhere around 2003, however the brake rotor diameter is the same throughout. With 16's the front is a very tight fit, maybe 10mm to spare between the caliper and inside of the wheel. In the rear no problem.

Last edited:
No surprise there! MUD is your single best source of info on Land Cruisers, period.

FYI, when I went from OEM 18's to OEM 16's on my LC I got in an argument with my local tire shop. The guy at the tire shop was convinced the 16's would not fit my LC because "they put 18's on the newer ones for a reason, because the brakes are larger". I told the guy it's just wheels getting larger because that's the culture more recently, not a mechanical reason. Well he was wrong, the brakes are the exact same size on 98-07. I even called CDan and he was nice enough to check the brake part numbers for every year model and verify they are the same size (BTW awesome customer service!). There was a slight part number change in the brakes somewhere around 2003, however the brake rotor diameter is the same throughout. With 16's the front is a very tight fit, maybe 10mm to spare between the caliper and inside of the wheel. In the rear no problem.

Do you happen to know if the same is true for the LX (i.e., no changes in the size of brakes over the years?)

Do you happen to know if the same is true for the LX (i.e., no changes in the size of brakes over the years?)

I did not ask and CDan only has access to Toyota parts not Lexus. However I'm pretty sure it's safe to say the LX and LC are the same story.

They are. Any 98-07 rim will fit on any 98-07 LC/LX.

any 200 Series or new Tundra wheel will fit a 98-07. Only they are 18 and up. I'm pretty sure the LX570 rims will fit as well.

They are. Any 98-07 rim will fit on any 98-07 LC/LX.

any 200 Series or new Tundra wheel will fit a 98-07. Only they are 18 and up. I'm pretty sure the LX570 rims will fit as well.

Or the 17" Tundra TRD wheels.

I bought my 16x8 OEM wheels from All Factory Wheels. I suggest you get a quote from them, might be cheaper.
Did you buy refinished wheels? If so how was the quality? That company is actually located about an hour away from me so I suppose I could even go there to check them out in person first. Toyota was asking $550/each for a new 2005-2007 wheel so at less than half the price if they're essentially as good as new from All Factory Wheels I'd probably just go with them...

Yes I bought refinished OEM wheels and they look brand spanking new. Here they are straight out of the box, before mounting the tires. The best part for me is they offer custom powdercoating before they shipped them to me.

wheels_flat_black.jpg

Yes I bought refinished OEM wheels and they look brand spanking new. Here they are straight out of the box, before mounting the tires. The best part for me is they offer custom powdercoating before they shipped them to me.

wheels_flat_black.jpg

what website did you get them from?

Hello everyone -- this past weekend, my '06 Land Cruiser had an unfortunate spill off a country road. Fortunately there was no body damage; unfortunately, however, both passenger side tires and wheels are completely trashed.

My local wheel/tire/brake shop (highly reputable) called me today and, much to my surprise, told me that Toyota offered two shades of gray for the '06-'07 wheels: silver & "hyper silver." My LC had hyper silver - though the dealer wanted over $1000 for two new.

Long story short, I'm finding it very difficult to find two hyper-silver wheels anywhere online. Some sites list having them for great prices, but there are too many red-flags on these certain websites to even think of ordering from them. All Factory Wheels has some '06 rims in stock, but they are the silver, not hyper silver. I'm about to break down and order the damn silver rims just to get my truck on the road and ME back to work; my thinking is that because the two shades of gray are on opposite sides of the truck no one will really notice other than my extremely critical eye.

What say you all? Are there ANY other sources that could help me find two reasonably-used/reconditioned/priced hyper silver wheels? Or should I bite the bullet and order from All Factory Wheels? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the quick reply and the link...that's great news! I called the dealership and they had no clue so figured this was my next stop.

What about headlights, taillights, and grill from that year range, is everything the same size?

I'm really surprised that no one has told you to plastidip or search yet.

But yes you can switch to 06-07 headlights and grill but it also requires a new sub panel, bracket and grinding 1/8" off of the headlight openings. I just did it. It's not too hard but any time you start cutting into sheet metal is scary.

And to answer you impending questions, yes the 06-07 tail lights and name plate will also fit. But the tail lights require a different cable connector.

Just found this thread and have a related question: will the stock '08-12 LC wheels (8x18) fit on an 03-07 LC? I have an 03 and can't for the life of me find a new or refurbished set of 4 03-07 gen wheels for my 03.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom