2004 transfer case removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

First time posting here but ive gotten a ton of great information reading through so far!
I am in the process of removing my t-case to fix a leaking front output seal and to install a part time kit while im in there. I have read every how-to and watched all videos so felt i had this well in hand up until the very end, right until i hit a snag. I have all six bolts removed that hold it to the transmission, shift linkage, drive shafts and all connectors/breathers pulled, and it is supported by a transmission jack. The transfer case sepparated easily enough but only pulls back about 1/8" before stopping. Ive checked all clearances and i am sure its not hitting anything, but it comes to a very firm stop like there is an internal connection. I cant find any mention of a c-clip on the transmission out put shaft that needs to be removed but it feels like there must be. There is a circular cover on the back with 5 bolts the allows access to the other side of the gear set that i am considering removing to see if there is a c-clip there but from what i have seen, the transmission putput shaft does not extend more than a few inches into the t-case so this should not be the case. Wanted to see if anyone has any pointers before starting further dissasembly, Thanks in advance for any help !

I did a 2000 LC and took everything off.. and the transfercase came out without an effort. Did you remove the exhaust cross pipe and transmission cross member? I did this about 2 years ago and I am trying to remember. I don't remember having any issues of taking it off the transmission, it just slid off. How about the front diff flange?

Last edited:
Got it ! Issue was the transmission jack was preasing at a bit of a weird hangle due to the irregular shape of the underside of the case, must have been causing some binding, i played with some different positions and found one that was lifting a bit more evenly.i did not take off the cross member which probably multiplied the difficulty since i wasnt able to angle it down at all. Those time saving steps that make everything more difficult haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom