Builds 2004 Tacoma PreRunner 4x4 Conversion & Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Conversion successful! Got the tranny in last weekend - I tried to take as many pictures as I could but ended up working too hard towards the end!

[IMG]

Up on the lift she goes!

[IMG]

Cut the hole for the transfer case shifter out of my original shifting assembly
[IMG]
[IMG]

Old tranny out and into storage

[IMG]

New tranny ready to go in and....

[IMG]

Installed! Buttoned up the crossmember, installed driveshafts and off the lift she went. Overall it went well and the 4x4 works very well - so mission success! However there are two issues I still need to address.

We couldn't seem to find the other end of this harness for the tranny temp sensor, looked everywhere and it was as if it disappeared. Any idea where the other end is on the wiring loom?

[IMG]

Also - I was told that the TC and tranny were out of a 2004 Tacoma but there is no speed sensor on the TC, just this plug. Anyone have any idea what the right speed sensor is?

[IMG]

All in all though, super happy with how it turned out and it's officially 4x4!!

Here's the thread from when I was going thru the same VSS issue with my old PreRunner conversion years ago.

I'll bet that trans/case prob came from a 4Runner--mine did. The 4Runner sensors are at the wheels/CVs, so that spot on the case is just a plug.

Last edited:
Here's the thread from when I was going thru the same VSS issue with my old PreRunner conversion years ago.

I'll bet that trans/case prob came from a 4Runner--mine did. The 4Runner sensors are at the wheels/CVs, so that spot on the case is just a plug.

Great thread. I'll look for one on Ebay!

Thanks!

What up fool? Good job on the new(er) rig.
Yo man!

Just hanging around wrenching on stuff - got a new project as of two weekends ago:

86U3Tg.jpg

It's actually my first car - a 1998 Toyota 4Runner with a 5 speed manual. Overall in good condition considering I sold it 6 years ago! There will be a build thread soon as the Taco was sold to my brother in law last weekend!

How's the pig and the 60 series coming?!

To finish up the build thread - I ended up buying a new speed sensor from AutoZone. For anyone doing the swap you're going to need the shaft that the speedometer gear is pressed onto otherwise the sensor isn't going to work.

I had originally thought about using the shaft off of the speed sensor in the 2WD transmission but didn't look like it was going to work. I bought the shaft brand new from Toyota and with the lift and tires my speedometer was actually way more accurate than it was before. Here's the part # 3340339365 and it looks like this:

8469850.jpg

I also put in new transmission fluid and a new filter as well after running the new transmission for about 500 miles. Honestly the truck drove really well, but as I said above I did buy my 1998 4Runner back so I sold the Tacoma to my brother in law.

Definitely was a fun build though!

Yo man!

Just hanging around wrenching on stuff - got a new project as of two weekends ago:

86U3Tg.jpg

It's actually my first car - a 1998 Toyota 4Runner with a 5 speed manual. Overall in good condition considering I sold it 6 years ago! There will be a build thread soon as the Taco was sold to my brother in law last weekend!

How's the pig and the 60 series coming?!
Jesus man, you churn out these rigs like crazy! The pig needs to have the master cylinder installed, the 60 needs an exhaust port welded shut, and in addition to all that I picked up a 100 for crazy cheap. It does got issues tho.

Jesus man, you churn out these rigs like crazy! The pig needs to have the master cylinder installed, the 60 needs an exhaust port welded shut, and in addition to all that I picked up a 100 for crazy cheap. It does got issues tho.

I know I do! It's a huge problem - I'll buy one, do everything I want to it and then get bored with it so I sell it and get a new project. It's a vicious cycle, but it keeps me out of trouble and I just use the funds from the sale to build the next one.

Sounds like you got your fair share of projects! Let me know if you need a hand with the master cylinder, we can get that thing done in an hour. Post up some pics of your new hundy!!

Yeah dude, maybe next weekend I'll take you up on that offer. I gotta watch my kid this weekend. Probably gotta invest in a table vice to get it all situated.
5257CABF-7F08-446C-9F50-65DE576D27B8.jpeg

So I sold this truck to my brother in law and bought a 3rd gen 4Runner but that didn't stop me from finishing out this build! He bought a 4xInnovations rear bumper & I installed some IPF's that I got from @KingOfTheNorth on Tacomaworld. Truck looks great and is finally on it's way back to CA for him to enjoy.

1669911028058.png

1669911042743.png

1669911052889.png

1669911060826.png

Have to say it was a little bittersweet to see it go, but this was a fun build from start to finish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom