2004 Subaru drivetrain issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this site is super helpful when dealing with issues with my old 75 series landcruiser so I would take a shot with this. It is a 2004 Subaru Legacy, had some work done on a rear bearing that involved replacing the driveshaft. A day later a noise developed and soon after the car became undrivable. The car acts like it is slipping when I accelerate. Once it gets past 10 or so it drives fine. I included a video of the noise it makes if it's in first gear, goes away if in park or neutral. Any ideas of help would be appreciated. Unless it is expensive then it is less appreciated. :cool:

I know this site is super helpful when dealing with issues with my old 75 series landcruiser so I would take a shot with this. It is a 2004 Subaru Legacy, had some work done on a rear bearing that involved replacing the driveshaft. A day later a noise developed and soon after the car became undrivable. The car acts like it is slipping when I accelerate. Once it gets past 10 or so it drives fine. I included a video of the noise it makes if it's in first gear, goes away if in park or neutral. Any ideas of help would be appreciated. Unless it is expensive then it is less appreciated. :cool:

That is a very strange twice and I've worked on lots of cars in my life including Subarus. Take a look underneath this may be kind of rare see if the drive shaft is spinning but the car is not moving? It could be that the splines are stripped in the wheel hub. Never seen it happen in a Subaru but I have seen it on a Jeep CJ. I was quite good in the day when I was a good technician and I got a big argument with the Jeep CJ owner and my shop manager is telling him and informing him that the splines to his Habra stripped and I was right. They never apologize to me when they had got in a big argument with me. Ended up replacing the Hop and my God I think the twerk was 800 foot pounds just to tighten the nut. It could be a transmission error cuz they do fail on Subarus and they can fail quite abruptly. My automatic Subaru which was a 98 Legacy the drive was going into reverse the reverse was going into drive or something like that. Basically it filled with in one day. Join a legacy or Subaru Facebook group and you probably get more feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom