2004 Steering Rack Bushing Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to tackle this job on my own. This has to be the single hardest job I've ever done on a vehicle. To the point that I have considered removing the entire rack as that may be easier. Even with a air chisel, which either sucks, or I don't know how to use it, this job is worth it to take to someone. I'm not slouch in the garage and have done a complete mk3 supra rebuild, and all sorts on an A4, but man this is miserable.

I'm about 3-4 hours in and have only gotten the bottom half of the PS bushing out. Is it just the corrosiion thats making this miserable? Im not even sure how I will be able to push the bushings out like I have seen mentioned.

Any words of encouragement?

bushing.jpeg

bushin2.jpeg

idk about words of encouragement as much as seeing all the corrosion under there makes me seriously happy I live in Arizona. I remember when I swapped my rack and installed the new bushing wondering "how tf would I replace this bushing without pulling the rack"...

Yes unless you can get it for a steal, dont buy a 100 from ny

with the amount of work necessary - may as well do the bushings/rack/OTREs all at once. Just my opinion.

I loosened up the T-case and lifted it with the jack just a bit to give me a little more clearance on the rear bushing. That helped me out a lot.

Words of encouragement: Get a punching bag?
The thought crossed my mind of parting out my truck while doing this job.

So I got the passenger side in. The upper half of the bushing came out much easier when striking from the bottom and drive it out the top. Still need to work on the drivers side now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom