2004 Prado 120 series broken rear axle & suspension - repair costs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. My 2004 Landcruiser (specific model naming conventions are different here, but it's marketed as a Toyota Prado 120 series 2004 manual 3.0L diesel (has sunroof, electric mirrors, sat nav, heated seats, etc)) is - to put it in technical terms - ****ed. A mechanic (who comes well-recommended by several friends and colleagues) has inspected and provided a detailed report and estimated costs. I just wanted to sense check it here as - frankly - I am relatively ignorant.

For context, I am a Westerner in a South Asian country. The car has always been owned by whoever is in my job, and sold on to the next (as a private sale). My job is on a 2 year rotation, so it means a series of temporary owners, which has not lent itself to a well-cared-for car or consistent service history; it has 140k miles and has been on all sorts of fun jollies in various terrains. I bought it for £8.5k and would likely be able to sell it on to my successor in 18 months for £7-£7.5k going on current rates. On the open market I would probably be able to sell at a profit (similar model + mileage currently going locally for £20k+) as there is a huge premium here on 10+ y/o imported used cars due to how the tax system works here.

The main issue is that the main bracket for the rear axle snapped, placing excessive load on the rear air suspension which, in turn, broke. The car is undriveable - it sits at an angle/very low ride height, severely bounces/vibrates and clunks, and the handbrake, ABS, and VSC lights are permanently on. The mechanic is recommending a full replacement of the rear axle (whole assembly), and replacement of the rear air suspension + related parts. Some sensors/wiring will also need to be fixed. The axle would be from a salvage yard, and the rear suspension parts all new. I did test him on if a weld repair would be sufficient; in his view, the rusting (the cause of the original breakage) is too significant that he would not have confidence in a repair holding.

Beyond this, he has identified a few other wider issues, most notably that the front steering assembly bushing, steering boot, and z-links are all cracked. The car is also in dire need of a service, with various misc issues needed including fixing the rear a/c, replacing air & oil filters, broken horn, leaking exhaust, oil change, wheel alignment, etc.

All-in, including parts and labour, I have been quoted approximately £2k. This is broken down as follows (all costs approximately converted from local currency):

Necessary/urgent
Rear axle (whole) - £800, from salvage yard
Rear air suspension - £200 (new, genuine part)
Other assorted (specified) suspension parts - £75

Optional
Tie rod end set, balljoint set, fork arm bushing, cam bolts, steering boots, balance rod bush - £290

Service items
Oil change (engine + diff oil), new air & oil filters, replacement key, brake cleaning, exterior/interior & underside cleaning & oiling, fixing a/c, horn, etc. - £120

10% parts commission: £150

Labour: £340

Total approx. £2k.

Just curious to hear what people think. Does this all sound reasonable / necessary? Based on the recommendations of working for people at my company (and a culture here of word-of-mouth recommendations) I do not think he is out to fleece anyone, but welcome a sense check from people more knowledgeable than me.

If the diagnosis is correct that’s extremely reasonable imo. I don’t know what the used parts market is where you are but that’s cheap for a complete rear axle, the rest of the parts seem quite reasonable, and the labour bill is very low by North American standards. I’m sure a mechanic with a lift is quicker than I am but I took 4-5 hours to swap my rear axle.

A 140000 mile truck of that age with legit off road use is certainly due for a mild suspension refresh like what he’s suggesting.

If the diagnosis is correct that’s extremely reasonable imo. I don’t know what the used parts market is where you are but that’s cheap for a complete rear axle, the rest of the parts seem quite reasonable, and the labour bill is very low by North American standards. I’m sure a mechanic with a lift is quicker than I am but I took 4-5 hours to swap my rear axle.

A 140000 mile truck of that age with legit off road use is certainly due for a mild suspension refresh like what he’s suggesting.
Thanks for your response. If it helps, this is the picture he sent.

IMG-20221130-WA0000.jpg

I think the price is reasonable, but the frame above looks to be very rotted as well. If the rest of the frame is in similar shape, I would have concerns about putting money into the vehicle, as the frame damage can be very difficult to repair and may compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle.

Yeah… that’s a lot of rusty cancer in the frame. That bracket that broke is pretty thick steel to begin with and rusting enough to snap would make me worried about the rest especially if this is gonna be used in rough conditions going forward.

This might be a fix, sell, and buy something better scenario if you need 18 hopefully trouble free months out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom