2004 LX470 transponder key programming instructions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I had a house fire and had all the OE keys but lost them all.

I got this key from a client Lexus store but they are 4 hours away.

If I got the transponder to work wouldn’t there be space for remote?

If the transponder works then maybe its the frequency of the FOB. I've looked but can't tell which frequency I have. My original FOB works but the replacement does not.

I did notice that the original came with a CR1616 battery & the replacement came with CR2016 battery. @Mauser do you think the size of the battery may indicate the frequency?

I have read many posts regarding 2003/2004 models require dealer/locksmith programming. I have used these instructions 3 times to delete and add keys to a 2004 LX470 successfully. YMMV.

To delete all keys except the current master key:
  1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert master key in the ignition and remove key. Do this 5 times.
  3. Insert master key in the ignition.
  4. Open and close driver door 7 times. Security light will blink.
  5. Remove master key.

To add master key:
  1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert master key in the ignition and remove key. Do this 4 times.
  3. Insert master key in the ignition.
  4. Open and close driver door 6 times.
  5. Remove master key. Security light will turn solid to indicate the system is in programming mode.
  6. Insert new key. Security light will blink. Wait for about 1 minute until the security light stop blinking.
  7. Remove new key.

Worked on 2004 GX 470

Side note, it was unclear how to program a Valet key. The process is exactly the same! The car can tell the difference between master keys and Valet keys and programs them accordingly. The take away is that you can't seem to turn a remote-less valet key into a master key. Fine with me!

Side note, it was unclear how to program a Valet key. The process is exactly the same! The car can tell the difference between master keys and Valet keys and programs them accordingly. The take away is that you can't seem to turn a remote-less valet key into a master key. Fine with me!

Where did you buy Valet keys?

For vehicles 2003+ this is the case. Earlier (1998-2002) with the 4C keytag can be designated either or.

This is the procedure that worked for my 05 LC. Programming the FOB was a PITA. Took maybe a dozen times or more. I'm convinced the 1.5 second limit is slightly off. I had to use a stopwatch, but finally got it to work. I bought an OEM Toyota key with built in FOB off ebay ($150) and used this procedure.

Just and update:

2004 LX470

I bought this key ("2004 Lexus LX470 Keyless Entry Remote Key") CarandTruckRemotes.com for $36.26 shipped (with discount code I found online, $40 listed). Programing procedure for key (engine start) worked as detailed in post #1 on this thread. Programing procedure for FOB (lock/unlock) worked as found in post #50 on this thread.

I can confirm that the FOB 1.5 second double button hold is touchy and it took several tries. Not sure if I was right on, a little early, or a little late on the attempt that was successful. After the final 2 sec lock button hold the lock unlock of the door happened automatically while I was holding the lock button. I say this only so you know you don't have to be overly careful about the duration of the final 2 second lock button hold in FOB programing.

Key from CarandTruckRemotes.com seems OK. Will probably replace it from YotaMD and keep the OE master at home.

Pro tip: Remove the FOB from the OE key and swap it out as needed in the programing instructions for key and FOB programing BEFORE you cut the key. Then when everything works you can put the FOBs back in the correct hardware and have it cut. This way if programing doesn't work you won't have wasted time and money with having the key cut before needing to return it.

Good luck!

key1.jpg
key1=2.jpg

Hey Mauser,

trying to switch the chip out in the amazon replacement key I bought. But it looks like this opened up. Is the chip in the electronics?

09049E70-8184-4B23-BA8A-7FF2A00F38A2.jpeg

Hey Mauser,

trying to switch the chip out in the amazon replacement key I bought. But it looks like this opened up. Is the chip in the electronics?

View attachment 2397336
Yes. Open it up like you are changing the battery. There os a pocket for the chip.

Yes. Open it up like you are changing the battery. There os a pocket for the chip.
Sorry I can’t seem to figure out how to open it. No tabs that’s I can see just indentations.. Is there a trick?

Few more pics

1DDEBF2D-54A6-4F1E-A9EA-07592EB15712.jpeg
96CBD45D-44CF-431D-879B-3676ADF66829.jpeg
1DDEBF2D-54A6-4F1E-A9EA-07592EB15712.jpeg
96CBD45D-44CF-431D-879B-3676ADF66829.jpeg
0E0C6311-0A92-4F85-925A-B1DD8DC34BB7.jpeg

Just an update for anyone having trouble getting keys for their LX's. I ordered These keys from Amazon and the remotes programmed no problem. The transponder chips in these keys are for Toyota, not Lexus, and I was not able to get them to start the vehicle. @Mauser was able to send me the correct chips for Lexus (Big Thank you very much!) and now they both keys work perfectly. Just wanna thank everyone on the thread that was able to put in their $.02 and help me key spare keys for a fraction of the cost the stealership would have charged me.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom