2004 LX470 Front passenger side grinding noise issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guy's I'm sitting here frustrated, and scratching my head. I can't pin point this problem, and I tried to troubleshoot this issue before I asked here.
Last weekend, I was driving my LX470 around and I started experiencing what appears to be sounds coming from the front passenger side.
I keep hearing a whining, screeching, grinding noise, that comes and goes. It's not affecing drive performance, braking or causing the front of the vehicle to pull to one side or the other. I'm also not noticing any smells as of yet.
I thought the issue could possibly be a wheel bearing. So when I got home, I did the 12 and 6, & 3 and 9 check and noticed my tire was a bit wobbly. I repacked my front passenger side wheel bearing, torqued everything to spec, then took her for a test drive last nite. Within a few minutes, I noticed that the issue is still there, except last while driving home I noticed the sound is getting louder and worse and then goes away.
I engaged my center diff lock to see if that would help the problem, but the issue is still present.
Is it possible this could be a CV issue, differential/ transfer case issue, or possibly my drive shaft needs greased? I'm sure someone on here has had an issue like this before.
I just thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone could recommend some other areas to troubleshoot to try and find this issue before I take her to the dealership.

Last edited:
Does it happen only when you're moving? A bad fan clutch bracket makes an awful noise like you're describing

Does it happen only when you're moving? A bad fan clutch bracket makes an awful noise like you're describing

Yes, so far it appears it only makes the sound while moving, and it dies down and goes away when I come to a stop.

I think I have the same issue but on the driver side. My theory so far is that I installed my rail too close to the door frame (it's definitely too close and touching) going to move it down soon to see if it goes away.

I was also thinking the same as you but my cv's are new, bearings are newly packed, new UCA's, new OME lift and noise all started after I put on 35's...

I'd pull the flange caps and inspect the cv c-clips.
CV C-clips are on there, but they are loose. I think, I'm just going to buy new clips, bearings, new rotors, & brakes, new flanges and hope for the best. But honestly, I'm wondering if it's either a brake or rotor issue. I re-did my rear brakes & rotors on my 2011 L.C over the weekend. Whike I was driving around, bedding my rear brakes, they were pretty much making the same noises, just not as extreme sounding. I also inspected my front rotors after I got home, and noticed that they are flat , and there is no lip like you would see if the rotors were new.

I think I have the same issue but on the driver side. My theory so far is that I installed my rail too close to the door frame (it's definitely too close and touching) going to move it down soon to see if it goes away.

I was also thinking the same as you but my cv's are new, bearings are newly packed, new UCA's, new OME lift and noise all started after I put on 35's...
I'm not running 35's but I did notice that I may need a new inner tie-rod on the driver side. The inner boot is wet and so is my UCA. My power steering pump is still full, so thankfully it's not my steering rack leaking...smh

Will keep you posted. If your grinding noise is as bad as mine then you know it sounds god awful and really hope to never hear it again!

Just wanted to give an update :
I had a few minutes yesterday, so I had my daughter get in the driver seat and roll forward, then roll in reverse while I stood out on the passenger side to find out where the sound is coming from.
Low and behold, the sound is actually coming from the rear passenger side wheel.
Standing right there and hearing it, it pretty much sounds like Freddy Krueger scraping his nails on a chalkboard🤣
So when I get time later this week, I'm going to take everything off and inspect that side.
I'm hoping worst case, it's just a seized caliper that I can replace. Either way I'm going to replace both brake hoses, calipers, rotors and pads on the rear as PM.
Once I've got that squared away I'll do the front rotors, pads, CV c-clips and the flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom