2004 Land cruiser thug sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2004 Toyota Land cruiser. The truck runs excellent and i have had no issues what so ever and have kept up with routine maintenance. A key issue i have noticed that when i am moving at a steady speed and if i have to give gas i hear a "thug" sound as the transmission engages. Same is the situation when i am stand still and want to move quickly i hear the "thug" sound. Transmission shifts perfectly -- no slippage what so ever except a thug.
Any suggestion / recommendation would be highly appreciated.

Grease the Drive Shaft zerks, all of them- as directed. SAME EXACT issue for me, I greased them all 6 months ago and no noise since. Now, when going from R to D when driving, I get a clunk from the front diff bushing needing replacement (nothing serious).

Trust me, it 's a cheap fix and makes a world of difference.

Grease the Drive Shaft zerks, all of them- as directed. SAME EXACT issue for me, I greased them all 6 months ago and no noise since. Now, when going from R to D when driving, I get a clunk from the front diff bushing needing replacement (nothing serious).

Trust me, it 's a cheap fix and makes a world of difference.

Definitely - that would be a easy fix -- will have it greased up this weekend and see how it reacts

Hi CanadianRockyCruiser,

How many u-joints am i looking at changing.

Thanks - Adeel

Up to 4... I would inspect them first, because it's likely only one of them causing your issue. If you note play in them when manipulating by hand, then it's safe to say that is your problem. Just try twisting the axle both ways by hand: if you find play in one side of the ujoint, that might your problem. I'm hoping that it's Ujoints, because they are much cheaper to fix than transmission components.

You can buy aftermarket sets of all 4 for about $100 or spend a bunch more on factory parts. Sometimes the Ujoints can be a pain to remove.
moog-moog-ujoint-packagedeal1152-large-diagram-1.png

Up to 4... I would inspect them first, because it's likely only one of them causing your issue. If you note play in them when manipulating by hand, then it's safe to say that is your problem. Just try twisting the axle both ways by hand: if you find play in one side of the ujoint, that might your problem. I'm hoping that it's Ujoints, because they are much cheaper to fix than transmission components.

You can buy aftermarket sets of all 4 for about $100 or spend a bunch more on factory parts. Sometimes the Ujoints can be a pain to remove.
moog-moog-ujoint-packagedeal1152-large-diagram-1.png

Thanks -- much appreciated.

I had a clunk that sounds similar to what you described. It was the bushings in the rear control arm that had gone bad. Might be another place to check.

I didn't choose the thug life, the thug life chose me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom