2004 Land Cruiser : Radiator Leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couvi

SILVER Star
Threads
Was just about to hit the road for a 3 hour trip when I noticed a new drip under the radiator, drivers side. The top looks fine, coolant levels seem ok as well, seems to be coming from underneath somewhere – sorry for the bad pics but it's all I could get – you can see the area highlighted in yellow. The other lower pic shows where I first saw the drip. I had the timing belt / water pump done a few months ago. I believe this is the original radiator. Any advice appreciated – will get it to the shop first of the week but probably no go on driving it.

IMG_1164.JPG

radiator.jpg

IMG_1167.JPG

Nothing to do but replace it. I had a similar leak a month or so ago, and a similar distance to go. It made it, but the trip wasn't fun by any means (and of course it leaked at the beginning of a trail day, so it ruined my trip). Just had to keep a close eye on it.

If you have someone else do it, make sure they replace the foam. OEM comes with it preinstalled, aftermarket does not.

You sure that's coolant and not coming from transmission cooler lines?

You sure that's coolant and not coming from transmission cooler lines?
It seemed clear and oily at first (based on the small spot on the driveway) and it didn’t smell like trans fluid. After looking closer though I saw it dripping from upper radiator area. Hard to tell though, pretty tight spot. I put a paper towel under to catch some so I could tell and it seems like coolant. Think it could be a leaking cooler line?

It seemed clear and oily at first (based on the small spot on the driveway) and it didn’t smell like trans fluid. After looking closer though I saw it dripping from upper radiator area. Hard to tell though, pretty tight spot. I put a paper towel under to catch some so I could tell and it seems like coolant. Think it could be a leaking cooler line?
Not sure, didn't want to complicate things I just was thinking it could be based on your first pic. Pretty common for top of radiator to start leaking, mine did the same at the seam but just make sure you double check.

Maybe make sure your fluids are topped off, clean the area up, run the engine and monitor it for a bit.

Coolant shouldn't feel oily like you described and I would think it would evaporate rather than hang around.

I just replaced mine for the same type of leak, but from the passenger side. as far as the physical replacement, it only took me maybe 3 hours from drain to refill? I had never done a radiator before so it could probably be done much faster. OEM is the way to go. make sure you burp the system really well after replacing. I didn't do a good job of burping and fought having to add coolant constantly and beginning to worry about leaks that I shouldn't see.

I flush, replace thermostat, rad cap (comes with OEM radiator) and both upper and lower radiator hoses, with radiator replacement. All OEM!
OEM is a labor saver, as comes with new foam. If using non OEM radiator. I transfer both side and top foam.

I flush, replace thermostat, rad cap (comes with OEM radiator) and both upper and lower radiator hoses, with radiator replacement. All OEM!
OEM is a labor saver, as comes with new foam. If using non OEM radiator. I transfer both side and top foam.
Precisely everything in my order. Although, I am considering adding coolant from Lexus since my local Toyota dealer seems to think they are God's gift to Toyota customers and we should pay double the current price for basic parts. (They are asking $45 a gallon currently).

Managed to get a video of the leak, definitely coolant. I’ll order the above mentioned parts. I think I know the answer, but would you drive even short distances with this leak? Fluid levels are full currently, just had full TB job done a few months back. Thanks everyone.

The short answer is Yes. Just be mindful of the temperature and fluid level or avoid driving. You could do the JB Weld radiator stuff if this is your ride to work and get you by for a minute.

Thanks fellas, I won’t add any stop leak and will keep a close eye on it. It’s my daily driver so need to take care of it soon — I’ll probably order the radiator and what 2001LC said above then have my mechanic do the labor. Any idea why I can’t upload vids from my iPhone? Photos load fine.

You can do the radiator. It is a good install to get you comfortable with working on your rig. PLENTY of "how-to" on here. Good weekend project. You can watch Chow's video on youtube as well. I believe Otramm also has one. With OEM parts it is really hard to mess up. Just watch your Thermostat position. Mark where the old one was and put the new one in the same position. Make sure to burp the system and then forget about it for the next 50k miles when it's time to change the coolant. **Check 2001LC's stuff as well. He is an invaluable resource here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom