2004 Land Cruiser Exhaust Smoke on Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TG1

Threads
Newbie Threader

I’m looking for a 100 Series LC and the one I looked at today (2004 with 175k) had lighter white smoke coming from the exhaust on start. This vehicle had ‘both manifolds with gaskets and hardware’ replaced by Toyota at 95k.

It was about 55 degrees when I checked it out so I don’t suspect condensation and it smelled like gas and not sweet like antifreeze. I’ve seen and smelled blown head gasket exhaust and this wasn’t consistent with that.

It also disapated a bit after a couple of minutes but was still smelling and there was a trace of whitish smoke ....maybe rich??

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sounds like it could just be condensation. Are you in an area like me, with high humidity? Or, HighER humidity?

Newbie Threader

I’m looking for a 100 Series LC and the one I looked at today (2004 with 175k) had lighter white smoke coming from the exhaust on start. This vehicle had ‘both manifolds with gaskets and hardware’ replaced by Toyota at 95k.

It was about 55 degrees when I checked it out so I don’t suspect condensation and it smelled like gas and not sweet like antifreeze. I’ve seen and smelled blown head gasket exhaust and this wasn’t consistent with that.

It also disapated a bit after a couple of minutes but was still smelling and there was a trace of whitish smoke ....maybe rich??

Any insight would be appreciated.
Could be the PCV valve is plugged up. Pull it out, shake it, see if it rattles. But be careful, the grommet can be dried up, you don't want to mess that up on someone else's truck.

Sounds like it could just be condensation. Are you in an area like me, with high humidity? Or, HighER humidity?
Thanks for getting back to me. No I'm in Utah where it's very dry.

Could be the PCV valve is plugged up. Pull it out, shake it, see if it rattles. But be careful, the grommet can be dried up, you don't want to mess that up on someone else's truck.
Thanks for getting back to me. Yeh that's something I really didn't want to do to his vehicle but I appreciate the idea!

Sounds like condensation. I experience this on mine below 60 degrees.

If you don't hear the distinctive 'tick tick tick' sound from the engine, your manifolds are fine. Consider they were replaced adds to the reassurance.

Sounds like condensation. I experience this on mine below 60 degrees.

If you don't hear the distinctive 'tick tick tick' sound from the engine, your manifolds are fine. Consider they were replaced adds to the reassurance.
Thanks Matt. Appreciate the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom