2004 GX470 Leak Dripping below transfer case skid plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning from Ft Collins, CO.

We an 04 GX470. I noticed what appears to be a small oil leak. It appears to be dripping off the transfer case skid plate.

Figuring I’ll clean up the area of the undercarriage around where it appears the oil may be coming from and then dial in and hopefully find the culprit.

Just looking for guidance/ suggestions on places/ things to investigate.

I may attach a photo later.

Thanks for any help!

I'm going to take a wild stab at the cause...

It's the transfer case.

😁

But really, it's probably the front output seal on the case which isn't terrible to DIY. Could also be the o-ring on the actuator which is even easier.

Thanks, Mr Chuck Norris. I have a picture. Hopefully this will help confirm it’s at least related to the transfer case.

CD948048-28EC-42EF-81EB-E3F25BC8E9DA.jpeg

D8CCAD52-84CF-4B80-9B5F-811D9526CE98.jpeg

Without seeing more detailed pictures, it's hard to say where the leak would be coming from. But, I recently had a leak coming from the front output shaft seal that was dripping in the same area. The replacement was one of the easiest maintenance tasks that I have tackled on our 04 GX470.

Part number for the front output shaft seal is 90311-41012. There is also a smaller seal that is installed in the output shaft flange that I replaced while I had it apart. That part number is 90312-23001.

Check the rear output shaft as well.

Thanks, ugamurph. I watched this video. I believe it’s showing what you mentioned.

Thanks again

Great. Here’s a photo of the 2 seals. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the leaky transfer case. No leaks since the seal replacement.

E15CDD82-816D-41AE-BEBF-2DE9067CA2CE.jpeg

Thanks, ugamurph. I watched this video. I believe it’s showing what you mentioned.

Thanks again

I checked out that video. My t-case was not leaking at the actuator, but I’ve heard that’s a common problem, too. Check that as well. The output shafts are where the driveshaft flanges attach to the t-case. If you have to replace those seals, you’ll need a 30mm socket to remove the flange nut.

Thanks, Mr Chuck Norris. I have a picture. Hopefully this will help confirm it’s at least related to the transfer case.

View attachment 2724900

View attachment 2724901

Thanks for pics, they always help!

One thing I would do is get under there with a flashlight and see if the front or the back of the t-case has oil on it. If it's the front output seal, the oil would only be on the front just at the bottom of where the front driveline connects. If it's the actuator o-ring, there will be oil on the back of the t-case up to the actuator (black box bolted to the rear).

And just maybe, it could be the rear output seal which would have oil all the way up to the rear driveline, but I find that unlikely as it doesn't tend to run all the way down to the bottom of the t-case like your leak is. It tends to just drip straight down.

As long as it's not ATF leaking and running down the t-case (highly unlikely), I put my money on front output seal or actuator o-ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom