2004 GX470 engine into 2005 LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my very cheap '05 LX470 (non VVT) has 0 compression on 8 and 125psi on 7, so I figure engine swap is the quickest way to get back to healthy.

I've got a line on a 125k GX470 motor from a 2004, also non VVT, and wanted to check with Team Mud on what difficulties I might have using a GX 2UZFE in an LX.

Any and all advice appreciated!

The best way to go to "get back to healthy" is to install a 2005 engine from an LX. Who all has looked at your current engine? Do you know what happened? I suspect an overheated engine, resulting in a blown head gasket and possible warped head or heads. If this is true, it is pretty rapidly repaired.

The GX 470 motor isn't a straight drop in- but its doable. Check @2001LC tech threads, I think he’s done that swap and discussed what parts needed to be transferred from the LX on to the GX motor to get it to mount up.

Last edited:
Yes, agreed. However there aren't exactly huge swaths of 2005 LX engines around. A reputable dismantler nearby has a GX engine available.

It is very likely an overheated engine based on the fact that it came with a bottle of coolant to match the P0307 and P0308 codes measured pre purchase, however I was willing to take a chance based on price & condition other than engine.

It got worse when I got home and saw the coil packs were new, and that the codes stuck with 7 & 8 when swapping coil packs with known goods.

Plugs checked well on 1-7, but the plug was black and gooey on 8. Replacement on 8 didn't improve the situation.

Idle is lumpy and power is lacking. The lumpiness disappears at 1500+ rpm.

Engine warm compression check per the FSM is consistent across 1-6 at 215psi (a little higher than spec, but measured via a Harbor Freight gauge). 7 made 125 PSI, and 8 made 0 PSI.

I would prefer to do an engine swap rather than tear it down and do valve train and head gaskets (if that's all there is) especially as the donor motor is 125k vs 225k. The front of the motor (timing belt, WP, tensioners, seals, etc) service is part of baselining for either engine and much easier to complete with the engine on a stand as well. So there's a bit of a claw back on time there.

So back to my original query, what difficulties might I encounter using a 2004 GX470 donor? I understand the GX doesn't have heater T's, so there's a plumbing swap. Motor mounts? Oil Pan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom