2003 Stuck in Park, No Nav screen, Dead dash, and VSC/Brake lights on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Struggling badly here. I've looked around the forum for the last few days and can't find a similar problem.

2003 Land Cruiser

Had the spinning key last week so I bought the new cam and replaced. Car starts but does not move out of park, has VSC and Brake lights on, Nav screen won't turn on, clock won't turn on, and dash is dead.

Read something about the ignition switch so two days later I replace that. Everything works perfect so I put the dash back together and go to drive away but everything is dead again... Same issues as above.

I don't believe it is the immobilizer switch as the vehicle starts and the security light stops blinking.

Any ideas on where to go next? Really want to avoid having this thing towed.

Does anything work without the ignition on? Like the dome lights, door locks, power seat? If NOTHING seems to work until you have the key in the ignition I would suggest checking all your fuses because you most likely have a blown one. I know the Alternator fuse will do this, I also thing the ECU-B or A Fuse will as well.

In 03 you may have fusible links, I'd check those as well.

Currently Power locks, Seats, and Dome lights work.

I have also checked the fusible links and they are in good condition.

Will check more fuses tomorrow.

Currently Power locks, Seats, and Dome lights work.

I have also checked the fusible links and they are in good condition.

Will check more fuses tomorrow.

Damn. I know for a fact when the alternator fuse on a gx470 blows that exact same thing happens but theres no power to anything without the key on. If you press the shift lock can you manually shift out of park and drive it?

I am able to shift out of park so that's good news as far as not having to tow it.

Going to try a new battery tomorrow. Read that Cruisers are very finicky when it comes to voltage.

Update on Battery:
12.35 volts when off
11.78 Volts when running

I would assume this is likely the cause of my issue. Will replace battery tonight and check alternator from there.

The low voltage while running indicates that your alternator isn't charging your battery, check the 7.5 amp fuse on the fuseable link. Is your battery light on?

I looked at the fusible link yesterday and all appeared good. Will look again tonight.

Here’s the dash with the vehicle on:
69CD7C2C-C5AD-4A15-97F8-055DF74220AF.jpeg

Then try your battery, a bad battery can cause so many weird things.

I’m betting bad alternator. Low voltage when running. Mine failed this weekend and gave similar symptoms(lights coming on, clock ac controls flickering on and off. Recharge the battery over night and then see if anything changes.

Update:
Replaced FR-IG Fuse and ALT-S Fuse with no luck. Also check the fusible link again and didn't see anything abnormal.

Charged battery to 12.8 volts and started vehicle with a jump to 13.4 volts. After removing starter battery drained to 12.6 rapidly before I turned the vehicle off.

It feels like the last option is the alternator but I have a hard time understanding why it worked and then 2 minutes later I get nothing.

IMG_6471 copy.jpg

I’m actually going through the exact same thing right now with my higher mileage 100. I’ve gone ahead and ordered a denso reman alt and will pull the old just as soon as I get the chance. Happened at quite an in opportune time as my garage currently has a work in progress 80 series in it:/

I am going to take it to an auto parts store to get tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom