2003 LX 470 Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - considering buying my first 100 series land cruiser or lx 470 and I quickly learned this was the place to come for research and knowledge. I found a low miles prospect in GA but it spent most of its life in Indianapolis (2003 LX 470 with 92k miles). Would the rust seen in these pictures that the seller sent me make you avoid this one? The rest of the vehicle is in excellent shape (needs 90k service and timing belt), but I'm paranoid about the rust. Thanks so much in advance for any input/opinions.

View media item 70991View media item 70990View media item 70989View media item 70988View media item 70987View media item 70986

You can hire someone local to the truck to go inspect it for you and give you an honest opinion.

My truck spent a couple of years in Illinois (PO), and must have been garaged most of the time because it's not bad at all.

In the few pictures posted, it doesn't look like it's about to fall apart or anything, but, there is a lot more truck we can't see.

Thanks guys. I think i may do that so I don't waste a trip down there.

If that turns people away then they'll fire bomb my rig lol. Living in the North East that will cost plenty looking that clean under there. Good luck with the purchase

Ha! Maybe I'm a little too paranoid. Hoping to keep it for a long time if it works out. 92k seems like pretty low mileage based on others I've found in my budget.

That rust doesn't look too bad at all but I would be curious what it looks like in the rust hiding spots. Get the seller to drop the spare an take a look there too.

That rust doesn't look too bad at all but I would be curious what it looks like in the rust hiding spots. Get the seller to drop the spare an take a look there too.

Great idea. Will do. Would you all recommend having a lexus dealer inspect it?

Great idea. Will do. Would you all recommend having a lexus dealer inspect it?

A dealer is going to charge you a arm and a leg to inspect it, then their repair estimate will be as much as the asking price of the truck.
There are indie shops that specialize in pre purchase inspections. They will even go pick it up from the seller, inspect it, email you a report.

Personally, I always go with my gut, it has not let me down yet.

I would use it as a bargaining chip In negotiating the value of the truck, but a 15 year old LX with that mileage is sure hard to find. I purchased my 03 from the Chicago area with 118,000 on it around a month ago and it’s undercarriage looks similar. I would ask for pics around the rear fender well area, near the back base where it meets the bumper, in addition to the other recommended hot spots mentioned by other members. Good luck!

Plan on sanding and painting if you buy it. If that is the extent of rust in those pics, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Ask for the seller to also take a pic of the upper tailgate jamb. They typically rust from the inside out around the handle/license plate light area and along the inner seam/drain holes in the rust belt.

Ask for the seller to also take a pic of the upper tailgate jamb. They typically rust from the inside out around the handle/license plate light area and along the inner seam/drain holes in the rust belt.

I'll give that a look. Thanks for the tip!

I don't see anything that would scare me off, I would ask for pics of the license plate screw holes up close, and also under the top hatch x2. Also look closely at where the running boards meet the fenders. I am in GA. Not sure where this is but I may be able to go by and look at it.

Gas tank skid plate. Should be clean, no undercoating. That is a prime space for rust, if it has it. From what you posted, that one looks normal, pretty decent, but more pictures would be useful.

How about the gas tank itself? Does that look bad (what little you can see in the last photo)? Tough to see, I know, but looked kind of rough to my untrained eye.

Gas tank skid plate. Should be clean, no undercoating. That is a prime space for rust, if it has it. From what you posted, that one looks normal, pretty decent, but more pictures would be useful.

How about the gas tank itself? Does that look bad (what little you can see in the last photo)? Tough to see, I know, but looked kind of rough to my untrained eye. Or is that all skid plate in that photo with the fuel tank completely covered? I'm guessing the latter but as you can see, I know very little, but appreciate the education I'm getting here.

Last edited:
How about the gas tank itself? Does that look bad (what little you can see in the last photo)? Tough to see, I know, but looked kind of rough to my untrained eye. Or is that all skid plate in that photo with the fuel tank completely covered? I'm guessing the latter but as you can see, I know very little, but appreciate the education I'm getting here.

I realize now that was probably an idiotic question. I guess the amount of rust I saw there clouded my reasoning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom