2003 LC New Key turns ignition but not door locks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My thinking is more inline with @ramangain. Instead of potentially pissing away more money on locksmith cuts that may not work, getting the dealer to cut one based on the VIN is probably the wisest choice (and maybe the most cost effective at this point).

Not entirely sure but I suspect a dealer has to give you your key code if you prove that you are the owner. I was mostly interested in seeing the price difference between the dealer and the locksmith that asserts that they can cut from a code number. If the locksmith has the ability to do it I would think it would be an accurate cut. But there would have to be some savings there.

Not entirely sure but I suspect a dealer has to give you your key code if you prove that you are the owner. I was mostly interested in seeing the price difference between the dealer and the locksmith that asserts that they can cut from a code number. If the locksmith has the ability to do it I would think it would be an accurate cut. But there would have to be some savings there.
Good point. Either way, I think OP should visit the nearest dealer! But not my truck, not my money.

I'm not sure a locksmith would be cheaper, honestly. A Lexus dealer in a posh part of town near Orlando offered to cut my blank for $20 according to my VIN. I just had to supply the blank, which I had in hand. I didn't need it at the time, so I didn't take them up on the offer. I should have though!

ramangain and boca1 where correct, BAD cut at the hardware store. I took the key to a real locksmith and not only did he cut me 2 new blanks that work in all the locks, he re-cut the previous hardware store key and got it working.

Amen brotha!

....make another master and don't use it. Make another copy as master to use as your everyday key.
[/QUO

@turnloose, glad you resolved it and stayed clear of the stealer. However, in general ^^^THIS remains good advise to anyone for avoiding the stated other potential problem from copying a worn key. My dealer charged $12 for the blank and cut to master from VIN (no FOB, no transponder). It serves as the reference to cut everyday master's and does double-duty as the "oh @#$%" hide-a-way key tucked securely on the LC frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom