2003 LC Fan Clutch Noise - Just replaced fan clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some advice on how to proceed and what needs to be checked.

I had my 2003 Land Cruiser in for service at Camelback Toyota here in Phoenix, dropped it off last Wednesday, and picked it up yesterday. Had them replace the fan clutch, radiator, radiator hoses, heater T's, and a few other items. Today, with less than 100 miles on the odometer after picking it up, I noticed a nasty sounding noise under the hood. Popped the hood and recorded the short clip I've linked below. Fan clutch appears to be unbalanced and oscillates when spinning and makes a pretty loud noise. The old fan clutch spun smoothly.

The radiator fan spins freely by hand when vehicle is shut off and doesn't make contact with the shroud or radiator. Noise appears to only come from the clutch.

Video of Fan Clutch

Sounds like the fan clutch is eating itself from the inside. Is this just a defective fan clutch I'm looking at or a faulty installation?

Camelback is towing it in tomorrow morning to take a look.

Fan bracket

Fan Clutch bracket bearing. If you TB is due anytime soon, it will be cost effective to do it at the same time since most of the TB covers need to come out anyway.

Fan Clutch bracket bearing. If you TB is due anytime soon, it will be cost effective to do it at the same time since most of the TB covers need to come out anyway.

Not due soon. So it's just a coincidence that the fan clutch bracket bearing has failed less than 100 miles after having the fan clutch and radiator replaced?

Not due soon. So it's just a coincidence that the fan clutch bracket bearing has failed less than 100 miles after having the fan clutch and radiator replaced?
That is hard to say. Mine failed out of blue without me touching anything. The fan clutch is installed on the fan bracket - perhaps the bracket bearing was ready to go anyway and the slightest disturbance became the last straw? Who knows!

That is hard to say. Mine failed out of blue without me touching anything. The fan clutch is installed on the fan bracket - perhaps the bracket bearing was ready to go anyway and the slightest disturbance became the last straw? Who knows!

Ok, seems like odd timing but who knows. Timing belt service was done about 30k miles ago.

Toyota is towing it in this morning to investigate.

Yeah likely just odd timing... When I was replacing bearings for the idler pulley and whatnot the pressure from me pushing on the fan clutch while changing things out was enough to kill my fan clutch (original). So it definitely could have been enough torque and whatnot. I would take it back to the dealer and have them take a look at it. Part of the video looks like a wobble which I wonder if the bolts/nuts for the fan clutch are actually on there tight enough.

If the fan bracket wasn’t replaced when you last did timing belt job, then there’s no coincidence.

If the fan bracket wasn’t replaced when you last did timing belt job, then there’s no coincidence.

Wanted to stop in and give an update and shout out to Camelback Toyota for great customer service. They diagnosed the issue as a failed fanclutch support bearing, parts and labor for free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom