2003 LC evaporative leak test results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
150k miles

occasionally get the good ole CEL with codes p0441, p0442, p0446 with VSC Trak and VSC Off lights. I hooked up techstream per the FSM and ran the "EVAP SYS CHECK". I had to manually go through each of the 11 tests. The auto test function was not available. The FSM does not mention how long to run each test. I arbitrarily picked 15 seconds each. The pressure stayed between 772 and 775 or around 10 on the pressure gauge.
The FSM does not mention what the values should be or how to interpret.
Any ideas?

IMG_2254.jpg

I assume you mean the one closest to the charcoal canister?

I think it’s the one in the engine bay next to the intake plenum.
View attachment 2424096
or this one:
View attachment 2424094

iirc, this part solved my 0446. This is a 1/10th :banana: job too and a cheap part. My evap line was already solid. From all my reading on these forums it seems the valve at the charcoal cannister is the commonly problematic one. I think that valve comes on the charcoal cannister assembly

So i have been doing some trouble shooting on the codes this morning. The purge valve above tested within spec, however the VSV for pressure sensing valve near the charcoal canister failed the FSM tests and it is aftermarket, so clearly been replaced before. I am having difficulty finding the part number. When I search for the vapor or charcoal canister all of the toyota dealer sites show a diagram with the canister under the hood. My 2003 has the canister that is back above the spare tire. There are no readable markings on the current aftermarket part that is installed. any help appreciated?

OK. So I am guessing this valve isnt sold seperatley and is sold with the vapor canister.
here it shows part number 77740-60440 and it looks like the part on my LC
However the same part number on Vapor Canister - Toyota (77740-60440) | Sparks Parts
says the part number fits, but it has the wrong part and diagram shown.

The vsv currently there is NOT for LC and I suspect is from a tacoma and looks like this

The first link looks right, at least for an 03+. Pretty solid price on it too, I recall I paid way more last fall. Looks like Sparks just has the wrong diagram up.

that why i am trying to double check here. Every toyota dealership site shows the same wrong diagram for the engine compartment mounted vapor canister when I look up that part number, but then says compatible with 2003 LC
McGeorge

called McGeorge. confirmed part number and wrong diagram image so ordered. 305.81 to my door.
cheapest I could find. fingers crossed

called McGeorge. confirmed part number and wrong diagram image so ordered. 305.81 to my door.
cheapest I could find. fingers crossed
Wondering if this would help solve the high altitude/hot temps, gas tank over pressure/purge, common on some 100's.

2003 LX470 with the same codes. Were you able to solve your problem with a new charcoal canister?

iirc, this part solved my 0446. This is a 1/10th :banana: job too and a cheap part. My evap line was already solid. From all my reading on these forums it seems the valve at the charcoal cannister is the commonly problematic one. I think that valve comes on the charcoal cannister assembly
Did you just have the P0441 code or P0442 and P0446 also?

See here: http://4runnerclub.com/i/4r_files/f...7toyrm/07toypdf/07rmsour/4runnerr/0060069.pdf

The first objective is to resolve P0441, which indicates that either the evap hose between charcoal canister and intake is leaking or the purge VSV is stuck. The fluctuation between 772 and 775 mmHg is too much. The allowable range is <2.25 mmHg.
Is the purge VSV the one in the engine bay or is it on the charcoal canister?

EDIT: I see you answered the same question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom