2003 gx470 recovery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

few more

20200401_155036.jpg

20200401_155246.jpg

20200401_155325.jpg

20200401_155335.jpg

20200401_161703.jpg

Last one. Car still dirty. No wash

Awesome progress!!!
Thank you for sharing! I recommend to try Zymol leather cleaner on steering wheel and that shiny look will be gone bringing back the luxurious supple matte leather finish that feels great in your hands!!!
Is that your S-class on the street? 320, 420, 500 or 600?

View attachment 2247874

Thanks Maxim i have cleaner and conditioner from zymol and i love it too. Frankly i didnt think about cleaning new wheel maybe yiure right. I should !
S class is my neighbour car one owner for whole life it has 100k miles if i remember good. Bulletproof wagen. Only thing i dont like its r6 i belive s320 i told my neighbour what a loss its not s500 with pancer v8...

On other hand r6 is idiotproof too just little weaker but a lot better on gas hes saying.

Thanks Maxim i have cleaner and conditioner from zymol and i love it too. Frankly i didnt think about cleaning new wheel maybe yiure right. I should !
S class is my neighbour car one owner for whole life it has 100k miles if i remember good. Bulletproof wagen. Only thing i dont like its r6 i belive s320 i told my neighbour what a loss its not s500 with pancer v8...

On other hand r6 is idiotproof too just little weaker but a lot better on gas hes saying.

I suppose you don't need the steering wheel cleaner now since you've installed the new awesome wheel!!! I like it a lot!

Yeah, the 3.2L motor is a bit weak for the heavy S-class body, but, like you said is fairly reliable. Good stuff! These were super popular among the mafia guys in the 1990's, especially the S500 and S600. It was a status symbol to tell everyone who is who, lol. How the times have changed. Now they all ride in G-Wagens, lol.

Keep us posted on your progress!!! I saw your first video on youtube! Good job. Just don't forget to enable comments, so I can do trash talk about your video, lol!

@Timonek Need a link to that steering wheel!

Hi to all i hope you all stay healthy !

Another day of quarantine 😆 i spent on replacing driver seat leather since its 17years old. Passanger is almost new but after i see effects on driver i might replace passenger too.

Few facts i consider and some + and -

Seat cover is real leather 170$ but best offer accepted at 160$ ;)
They have vinyl version for 130$ but this is mistake unless youre chip and dont care doing it again within 2years and seat all the time like on bare porcelain floor.

What i found fresh leather is soo soft and nice to touch second good thing that new covers have foam cushion which is like 5times thicker than original so difference is huge, soo comfty but probably any new cover will be better than 17y old seats so lets say these covers are also cheap solution to restore comfort.

I never did it so i was wondering how new learher will be tucked in the middle of seat on sides of course hooks etc. So to anybody who never did it like me:

Seat cushion foam has on sides and in center where stitches are metal rails sealed in cushion on that new cover you also should have that tunnels for that metail sticks but here its just paper straws so you jave to take them out and snake old ones. This is not mentioned by any seller. So this is minus

That new metal stick in new cover you have to connect with one in that foam cushion in order of that i used romex 12 wire :) and players ;)

New covers learher is not that thick as old one cant tell that but if you compare raw edges old and new then you can tell

20200403_110127.jpg

20200403_114707.jpg

20200403_130955.jpg

20200403_131022.jpg

20200403_192056.jpg

I suppose you don't need the steering wheel cleaner now since you've installed the new awesome wheel!!! I like it a lot!

Yeah, the 3.2L motor is a bit weak for the heavy S-class body, but, like you said is fairly reliable. Good stuff! These were super popular among the mafia guys in the 1990's, especially the S500 and S600. It was a status symbol to tell everyone who is who, lol. How the times have changed. Now they all ride in G-Wagens, lol.

Keep us posted on your progress!!! I saw your first video on youtube! Good job. Just don't forget to enable comments, so I can do trash talk about your video, lol!

That is last real s class. My brother in law had 2017 s500 with amg package for lease for 2years that was s nice ride. I hit few times 160mph its literally few seconds.. what a beast !
G wagen has my respect because of old design for so many years but handling sucks. Anything over 80mph is not comfty. Its like box truck. Nice for show like u saying everybody knows criminals rides g wagens

Same like with prado and all landcrusiers in Russia and middle east ✌
Yeah i could do more videos like today with reupholstering seat. I have to get some head camera ;) i was thinking about that while working on seat today i hate to deal with photos while doing something , in progress so i mucho respecto for those who makes videos for us ! Life is so muvh easier to work on gx after seeing videos. ;)

@Timonek Need a link to that steering wheel!

This is not gx model but this is seller that sold mine so contact him he has tham all the time but i dont see them now in his listings.

hi to all. I hope Youre all stay healthy !

another day of quartantine anothewr day of project. Best day = finish day !

i have exchange trans ATF type-IV oem toyota oil, oil was red in very good condition so i drained 4liters off pan and refilled 4liters and decide to leave it as it is as somebody before me took good car of transmision oil change ( at least ) with next oil change i think 1k miles or 2-3 months I will change engine oil again anf then together i will drain another 4 liter of atf too. and so on next 2-3 oil changes.
I used to acura 5speed automatic trans where You kick gas pedal and tranny kick down quick you feel it you hear it you see it on cluster gauge, here in lexus You f eel zero gear change... i have to use to it :)

Car is 99% finished. I still have to fix mark levinson amp and in far future month or two i will hunt for rear diff since this one is little noisy especialy when You have zero audio. Overall car drives extra great its quiet suspension is great. car doesnt force You to ride fast unlike my Acura tl :) i love it !

so.
atf 4quarts changed
rear driver side height control sensor is changed so both are new.
drive shaft lubed with grease gun( first time i used grease gun ! :)
im in love with that gx ! i spent 2 months since February 15th but it was worth.
in total this gx cost me 4500$ in parts plus truck it self but it was worth every penny ( im not counting my personal work which were a lot of hours but i have learned a lot and spent time good ( gateway for everyday life ) but what i did probably 90% of new owners of any gx in any condition would do it. its a must for new land cruiser/gx

project continous :
im waiting for spidertrax hub spacers
Amazon product ASIN B00BGRDMOM
tomorrow I will balance and rotate wheels and service AC
im thinking about getting new covers for pass seat full and upper part of driver seat now. I have to check it if there is any videos in internet about that but after i did driver seat i want rest to be same, so comfy and make interior look brand new !

Im thinking about coverlay dashboard cover and k02 tires in far future if car will perform as i want. if all will be fine im hoping it will since these are tanks i will get bull bar..
my mark levinson amp also need service... no audio. i will probably send it for repair to one of ebay guys..

20200404_190941.jpg

20200407_143217.jpg

20200407_144350.jpg

20200407_144353.jpg

20200407_144357.jpg

LOVE the finished product. I've got some catching up to do regarding maintenance/baselining, using your thread as a template in many cases so thanks for documenting.

I had my ML amp rebuilt by United Radio, wasn't cheap but they certainly fixed the issues. Mine had no subwoofer activity and would cut out after about 5 minutes of playing music. I was going to go with an eBay rebuild or a second hand unit but they have a good reputation for many years so I decided to go with them. Mailed the amp out to their Syracuse NY facility, had it back in 2 days. Check out their website: Home | United Radio

Last edited:
Nicely done, Kamil!!!!
You have truly transformed your GX! I enjoyed watching all of your progress over the last 2 months as if I was hanging out in your garage and watching you do the work. I too have learned a lot form you (how to paint brake calipers and wheels, rust inhibit the undercarriage/frame, replace struts, body work on that left rear fender/quarter panel, replace height sensor, new steering wheel and, my favorite, the new leather seat cover), thank you for sharing all your hard work. You have saved A LOT of money doing the work yourself and you have created a priceless bond with this truck now. Enjoy it and stay in touch. Be safe and stay well!!!

Last edited:
LOVE the finished product. I've got some catching up to do regarding maintenance/baselining, using your thread as a template in many cases so thanks for documenting.

I had my ML amp rebuilt by United Radio, wasn't cheap but they certainly fixed the issues. Mine had no subwoofer activity and would cut out after about 5 minutes of playing music. I was going to go with an eBay rebuild or a second hand unit but they have a good reputation for many years so I decided to go with them. Mailed the amp out to their Syracuse NY facility, had it back in 2 days. Check out their website: Home | United Radio

Thanks ;) its not far.... might call them...

Nicely done, Kamil!!!!
You have truly transformed your GX! I enjoyed watching all of your progress over the last 2 months as if I was hanging out in your garage and watching you do the work. I too have learned a lot form you (how to paint brake calipers and wheels, rust inhibit the undercarriage/frame, replace struts, body work on that left rear fender/quarter panel, replace height sensor, new steering wheel and, my favorite, the new leather seat cover), thank you for sharing all your hard work. You have saved A LOT of money doing the work yourself and you have created a priceless bond with this truck now. Enjoy it and stay in touch. Be safe and stay well!!!
Thanks Max. It will be more since always is something to do ;)
Where did you source those seat covers from?

They look great!

Ebay.

Hi to all
Gx finaly bites miles.

I fixed ac. Relay was bad but other than that no leaks. Relay at peepboys 47$ they checked ac recharged it. Voila. Blow arctic air now. Also balanced rotate tires and it came out i might need two tires since these are old and have microcracks. Im thinking about pirelli scorpion verde as 265 70 17.

Lift supports changed. If anybody need i will attach photo with model nr. They saying made in usa... not sure but they are crazy strong. You have to push hood down to lock it.

Tomorrow i have to check sunroof drains since one looks like its cloged.

Question:

Mark levinson radio has two knobs
Right one has that click when turning left to volume up or down doesnt have that click.

Can anybody check in your gx if it should be like that ?

I have no sound no reaction when turning volume knob or push buttons volume up down on steering. No voice sound or info about incrising volume. I will be thankful.
I want to be sure this is proper work before i send amp. Maybe just radio unit and that ledt knob is shot and it affects whole unit?

20200409_184857.jpg

20200409_114553.jpg

20200411_155010.jpg

20200411_135344.jpg

20200409_114217.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom