2003 4Runner v8 as engine swap donor

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
I have an opportunity to pick up a 2003 4Runner with about 200k for $800. It cranks but is not currently running, owner says it ran then would not restart - I suspect it is something simple.
In any case I wanted to ask if there was anything I would need to know about the 2003 era 2UZ/4Runner that might make this a good deal, or might make this a hard pass. I know I'm asking a very broad question that does not have a simple answer...

little_joe

SILVER Star
Generally, this engine is solid, down a bit in power compared to the VVTi that came in 2005; but also, simpler because of that and no secondary air injection. As with many of the 2UZ's, cracked exhaust manifolds are a worry - but nothing catastrophic.

If you're looking for "are there any achilles heels with this engine?" - nope. Maintain it and it goes. Personally, if I had the space and $800 to place on a bet, I'd jump on it - even parting out the truck (if inclined), you'll come out ahead.

Bripars40

SILVER Star
I have an opportunity to pick up a 2003 4Runner with about 200k for $800. It cranks but is not currently running, owner says it ran then would not restart - I suspect it is something simple.
In any case I wanted to ask if there was anything I would need to know about the 2003 era 2UZ/4Runner that might make this a good deal, or might make this a hard pass. I know I'm asking a very broad question that does not have a simple answer...
Buy it! Especially to use it for your swap.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
The swap would be for my Stout.... and as such I think I'll keep my eye out for a 2wd manual trans v6 or 4 cyl truck.... as much fun as a v8/auto might be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom