2003 100 LC Timing belt noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jdfern

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought my rig about a year ago 230k miles, didn't have many service records. I was going to do a timing belt job myself but chickened out and hired a mechanic to do it. The mechanic used a timing belt kit from auto zone, instead of Toyota parts as we discussed. Right after the timing belt job I found coolant leaks and one of the belt covers was not seated correctly which I repaired myself. The mechanic moved out of state. Needless to say I'm sorry I didn't do the job myself or have the dealer do it. There is a noise that sounds like a bearing or whirring but it is intermittent. I replaced the fan clutch, drive belt (OEM) parts and checked the ac, power steering and idler pulleys for play and they all feel solid. I ran the engine a few minutes without the drive belt and the noise is still there. So I'm thinking maybe one of the timing belt idlers or the the non toyota water pump or belt itself is to blame.
I'm about to bring it to Toyota and have them do the timing belt / water pump job over with Toyota parts. I thought I would post this ask for thoughts from anyone with experience.

Rockauto has the complete Asian kit with the hydraulic tensioner. OEM supplier I believe. It is not a hard job, just takes time. I was able to complete the swap in two days. One day to take apart and clean, second day to put back together. Third day to realize I’m not twenty years old anymore. The FSM has step by step directions and torque values.

Thanks, I will take a look at that kit. Yeah I'm not twenty anymore either and I have that nice ARB Sahara bumper which adds another level of hard to reach everything.

I had an ARB too on my 80 series. Protects from everything, including me getting in the engine bay. I do most maintenance on the family fleet so i would take the tires off, set the rotors down on 2x6 lumber, and place a knee board across the engine bay. There is a pretty cool stand/lay across creeper somewhere in this website that seems to do the trick. I have also parked beside my side porch and used the raised area for leverage. My mechanic said he would only work on my 80 if i took the ARB off the truck. I have since sold the bumper and bought a mig welder.

Frankly, it's pretty much impossible to say based on a cell phone video. It's difficult enough to diagnose even in person. That said, if he used an Auto Zone kit, it needs replaced with OEM as soon as you can. It's possible he just replaced the belt and not the idler or tensioner. The PO of my truck had done that and both bearings sounded like a box of marbles when I took it apart.

Completed the T-Belt job myself with all OEM parts, noise is gone. I believe the noise was coming from the massive amount of grey RTV the last guy in there used. There was a blob of RTV right up against the water pump impeller that would squeal when spun. After buttoning everything up, I leak check with air before adding any coolant. The only mishap I had was that I must of poked the radiator with something causing a leak prior to covering it with cardboard for protection. I replaced the radiator with a new Denso.
Thanks for all the help and boost of confidence!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom